file Triton 3 + Subwoofer Configuration Options

• henry.kautz@gmail.com's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
henry.kautz@gmail.com Posted 9 years 9 months ago
I've been experimenting with various configuration options for my Yamaha receiver, Triton 3 towers, Center XL, and Epik Legend subwoofer. I thought I'd share what sounds best to me, for those of you wondering how to configure your system - your mileage may vary!

1. Receiver settings: Front speakers Large, Center and surrounds Small, Crossover at 60 Hz. Given the hefty bass of the Center XL, I settled on the 60 Hz crossover instead of the default 80 Hz, but it doesn't make a huge difference. With this setting, all frequencies in front channels are sent directly to the front speakers; audio below 60 Hz in the center and surround channels is sent to the Front speakers; and the LFE (low frequency effects) channel only, if present, is sent to the subwoofer. Playing a 40 Hz test tone through the front channels provides an ample sound level. Playing a 20 Hz test tone yields almost no sound.

I find this the best configuration for almost all my music and video. There is rarely any intentional signal in the front, center, and surround channels below 40 Hz. In fact, when watching broadcast television, there is often an annoying hum and other artifacts at low frequencies. The output of the Tritons and subwoofer are cleanly separated, since the subwoofer is on a completely separate channel. (Note that the LFE channel ranges up to 120 Hz; it is unaffected by the crossover). The music is minimally processed before reaching the Tritons (I also turned off parametric equalization), which to my ears makes the speakers sound more open.

2. Receiver settings: as above, but with Front speakers set to Small. Now the Tritons are bass managed as well. Audio below 60 from all channels, front, center, and surround, is combined with the LFE channel and sent to the subwoofer. This configuration is best for music that does have a lot of signal below 40 Hz, such as dubstep and electronica (not a large part of my collection!), and for video from "clean" sources such as Blu-Ray that have no low-frequency artifacts in the audio channels. Since the subwoofer and Tritons are now sharing the range 60 Hz +/- 5 Hz in the front channel, it is a good idea to further tweak the bass adjustment knobs on the Tritons and subwoofer until they blend smoothly.

Switching between these configurations takes a lot of button pushes on the receiver remote. I programmed a macro in the Roomie Remote iPhone/iPad app that lets me switch with a single click.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Thanks Henry,
Good write up, that is helpful.
I guess I have been going for a one-size-fits-all approach, and your way is probably more sensible, more doable.
My controls are a little different than yours, so I will have to experiment more to see if I can do what you are doing.
But your post is encouraging!!!!
Happy Listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Hi, thanks for the feedback, very interesting. In reply, by the numbers.

1) Yes, this is the correct and preferred setup for directing LFE bass away from the Triton Three's bass section (they will play louder for movies this way) and assuring the receiver does not self-limit. Center channel bass is a preference thing, but 60 Hz is a very good compromise. BTW, 20 Hz is typically not audible, you just feel it.

2) A bit of a mystery as to what exactly one will get with this setup.... but if it makes YOU happy, we like it. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 3 + Subwoofer Configuration Options