file Audyssey & The T2s

• kindiboy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
kindiboy Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by kindiboy. Reason: SP info_outline
Hello,

I've owned the Tritons for a couple of years now, and I still don't understand how to run Audyssey with them.

Should I unplug the power cables before running the setup?
Should I use a SPL meter and level them individually with RCA cables?

All I want to achieve is before running Audyssey is to make sure that they are tuned in correctly.

I just don't trust preference approach to things, I want the reference.
Did Golden Ear publish a step-by-step guide on how to run Audyssey correctly with the Triton 2s?

Please anyone help
Thanks,
Fei

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi -

Thanks for your purchase. We do not claim any expertise on Audyssey so the following is only based on experience and feedback. Perhaps other in the forum will respond as well with more direct experience. There are also numerous discussions about Audyssey in various threads in this forum. That said, here's kind of a laundry list of sorts:
  1. Generally, the preference is to NOT use Audyssey. Do a manual setup of speaker types, distances crossovers and level calibration
  2. If it is XT32 or better, you are much more likely to have acceptable results. If its Audyssey Pro, even better. Less than that, don't bother unless you are very unhappy with the sound in your room
  3. If you are going to run it, you should use the LFE cable connections because Audyssey does more of its work on the sub channel (but this is an issue also, since not all bass is reproduced down the sub channel in a Triton Two-based system)
  4. Be prepared for Audyssey to get it wrong (wrong distances, incorrect error messages, wrong crossovers) - all the more reason to do a manual setup and skip Audyssey
  5. If you're going to run it, make sure the bass level controls on the Tritons are set for "flat", depending on the room and positioning that's usually between 9 o'clock and 11 o'clock on the dial
  6. Make sure you know how to defeat/remove the Audyssey EQ before your run it, in case you don't like the results
Hope this helps. If you are not comfortable with doing a manual setup on your own (easy, really), you should seek assistance from your local GoldenEar dealer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Sloppy, kindiboy

Thanks for your reply, couple of questions

regarding #3- you mean connect the cables the whole time and switch subwoofer in AVR to ON and run Audyssey? So basically deal with the subs in the speakers as normal separate subs?

Also would you please elaborate on this "(but this is an issue also, since not all bass is reproduced down the sub channel in a Triton Two-based system)" Does that mean while using the LFE cables? or just in general? Because I don't use a separate subs to begin with all I have for LFE are the Tritons.

Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Sorry, complicated subject does not lend itself to my simplified explanations.

regarding #3- you mean connect the cables the whole time and switch subwoofer in AVR to ON and run Audyssey?

Yes, not sure what you mean by whole time though. If you want to use Audyssey you should opt for this hook-up option.

So basically deal with the subs in the speakers as normal separate subs?

Not exactly - kind of like normal LFE-only subs (not a typical configuration for most home theater systems).

Also would you please elaborate on this "(but this is an issue also, since not all bass is reproduced down the sub channel in a Triton Two-based system)" Does that mean while using the LFE cables? or just in general?

I mean this is an issue for Audyssey (that's the subject here) with its emphasis in correcting the sub channel content. Rather than confuse things further, I will leave it at that.

It's okay please over explain everything what is confusing me is the lack of information to begin with.
So I should connect the LFE channels on the subs to the AVR and have LFE not main+LFE right?
and the Tritons set to Large? or Small?

Sorry, let me sum this up:
  1. We don't make Audyssey. I suggest you go to them for more help.
  2. We DO NOT RECOMMEND GoldenEar speaker owners use Audyssey for their system's setup. Users experiences have been primarily "much more harm than good"
  3. Our manual clearly states how we recommend hook up and how we recommend you set your system's bass management
  4. The manual also clearly describes the alternative hook up (which is what I am suggesting here for maximizing the benefit, if there is any, to using Audyssey), using LFE inputs as well, if desired, and bass management settings for this configuration. The stated (and sole) benefit for this hook up, "the ability to control LFE level from your receiver/processor"

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Audyssey & The T2s