question-circle Help with Purchasing

• tvproinc's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
tvproinc Posted 11 years 5 days ago
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and I believe after hearing the Triton 2s I am convinced it is my speaker. First let me tell you a little bit about the room since that may be helpful.

The side walls are 20 ft. apart.
The TV Center is on a wall with a large patio door on the right and a large window on the left.
The back is pretty open with a kitchen behind my seating area. The open kitchen in the back starts approximately 20 feet away from front wall. Since there is a dining room behind the kitchen so the whole floor is rectangular.
My couch is 15 feet from the front center, kitchen begins about 5 ft. behind that. Ceilings are 9 ft. high. Large throw rug in front of couch.
Floors are wood.
Ceiling has sound bat for insulation along with walls.
Speaker placement will have to be a couple of feet from side corner walls in front of windows on each side. They will be toed in towards couch. Distance apart is about 15 to 16 feet.
Back speakers will be on side walls out a couple of feet about three feet farther back than seating area. They will be toed in toward couch.
Center speaker under TV.
I will be placing some sound panels on at least one side wall and probably later on a bookshelf on the other side.
I do like to feel my base but don't like a boomy sound. Like it clean.
Music genre is mostly progressive jazz and of course watch movies.

Now the advise

I am looking to purchase 4-triton 2 speakers, two in front and two in rear. The 60 Stat C for center speaker below TV which is eye level when sitting. Also I would like to purchase two Forcefield Fives and place them next to front speakers.
  1. Is this overkill with the subs and rears?
  2. Suggested amps and pre-amps?
  3. Suggested sound processor?
  4. Other recommendations about rears and subs?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Hi and welcome - here are answers to your questions:

1) Subs, not at all. Subs as LFE-only will relieve the Tritons from this workload and be killer for movie effects tracks. Triton Twos for rears? Overkill, but fun!

2) I'm going to let the forum members contribute here, lots of good options;

3) Same as No. 2;

4) If you want full range rears you can also use a ForceField/SuperSat combination (ForceField subs have speaker wire high-pass input/output connectors to facilitate this application.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tvproinc

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Hello tvproinc, and welcome to the forum!
IF you do get 2 pair of the Triton 2s, and use two for the front and 2 for the rear, I know you will be my hero!!!!
Heck, even if you downgraded to the Triton 3s for the rear surrounds, that would still make an awesome system!!!
1. Overkill? Well, it depends on for what? If you were just using the rear surrounds for movie watching and IF you only play the usual bullets flying, rumbles from explosions, someone banging two cans together for sound effects, then YES it is overkill.
BUT, IF you are like me and like to play Blu-ray concerts in surround sound, or classical concert Blu-rays in surround sound, then you can get some great surround from a full-range speaker. OR try the TACET SACDs which record classical with you the listener in the middle of all the musicians. Then you will LOVE the Tritons playing all around you!!!!
2. Get the best amps and a really good surround processor, the best you can afford for these babies. The Triton 2s will reward you for feeding them the best signal you can. Are you interested in tube amps? You will get the best, most pure, warm and awesome sound, the best imaging and vocals will sound real, like the singer is there in the room with you. Or, do you need power, is your Jazz the loud, get after it type? Then perhaps you better stay with solid state amps.
3. Processor, I have a Marantz AV-7005, which works well for me, on my budget. IF I had a bigger budget I would get the new Marantz AV8801 or better.
I use Class D amps with my Marantz, as it is pretty hot where I live, and I am trying to save electricity and heat.
BUT I am working on sticking in an integrated tube amp to run my front Triton 2s, with a home theater bypass in it. So, when I want to play 2 channel stereo, I run the output of my Oppo DVD or CD player into the tube integrated. But for movies, I play through the surround processor and all settings are in it, it outputs the front left and right through the tube amp, bypassing it's preamp.
Will report later on how that sounds.
4. On this forum I reckon we would say, stay with GoldenEar!!!!!
Enjoy and PLEASE let us know what you decide and how it sounds.
Blessings,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• tvproinc's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
tvproinc Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Thank you for the information.
  1. I believe I am going to get triton 2s all around. I have wiring laid in the walls for subs all around two but for now will probably go with just the front two.
  2. Amps, well I want to get the best tube amp I can but I am exhausting my budget with speakers. Would like to know what others are using, including tube amps and what might be out there (best bang for the buck).
  3. I love Jazz and Classical and this is what I want to sound best. SACDs, I have a Sony player that will play them but no surround system presently. They are a notch better in quality however.
  4. I own a couple of magna planars and they sound great, however positioning them is a nightmare. I will be moving them into my office.
  5. The great thing is we are moving and I have been able to get all the wiring in place before the walls go up.

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated,
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 4 days ago
Steve,
That sounds awesome.
I am doing something similar, building a house with a home theater in it. Wires under the floor.
I have several solid state amps, because I used to have maggies as well. And then Apogee Stage speakers. They took LOTS of power to run them, sometimes into low ohms.
The GoldenEar Speakers are great because they are the first dynamic speakers I have come across that do NOT sound like music coming out of a box. And with the built in powered subs, I can use a tube amp with them.
I got a Triode (TRI) TRV 88SE. I believe it has plenty of power for the Tritons at 45 wpc. And the bypass allows me to use it with or without the surround sound processor.
BUT my house and home theater is not finished, I will have to report later on how this all sounds.
All the best, I think you will have a Fantastic sounding system. Please let us know.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Help with Purchasing