file Triton 3s in 11x11 Room

• jwglista's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jwglista Posted 11 years 1 month ago
I recently had the chance to audition the Triton 3s at my dealer, and I did really enjoy the sound. However, I noticed that they really love to fill the whole room with sound. This has me wondering if my small 11 x 11 room would be too small for them. My listening position right now is about 7 feet from where my speakers are.

Can someone shed light on this?

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: incidentflux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 11 years 1 month ago
Hi Jwglista,
Just putting my 2 cents in here, but IMHO if you get the Triton 3s you will LOVE the sound!!!! To me, the opposite could be a problem. A room 11 x 11 would be full of glorious sound. But in a room too big, then the speakers would struggle, you would only be able to hear direct, on-axis sound, all the reflections would be lost. Those reflections are part of the sonic story when listening.
Another thing to consider, IMHO you should always get the best speakers you can. Rooms come and go in life, but a great pair of speakers go with you wherever you go. Or they always have with me.
I would even recommend the Triton 2s, but either way you go, you are on the exact right track with the Tritons. They are awesome speakers.
I won't even muddy the waters with mentioning how great the Aons are. And have not had the opportunity to hear the Triton 7s.
Stay with GoldenEar and you will be happy!!!!!
Enjoy, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jwglista

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 11 years 1 month ago
Hey Jwglista,

That is the exact size of my room where I'm currently listening to one of Adele's album on my Triton Threes and I couldn't be happier. It is a bit nearfield, but I like the intimacy. I think you'll be incredibly happy. The bass is just right too. A nice solid foundational bottom without a distracting level of 'rattling everything off the wall' deep base. I'm probably sitting even closer to the speakers than you would be and the sound is fully resolved and the image is entirely in focus.

Also, as for their physical size I think they are just right. They are large enough that they definitely have a presence in the room without being completely overbearing and 'heavy' on the room's decor. I've attached a picture of my set-up in another post if you'd like to use it as reference. The TV in the picture is 42in. by the way.

Wayne's point is well taken, if you can afford the Twos even those wouldn't be too much sound for your small room because the bass volume is adjustable (the physical size is another story).

The way I see it though, if/whenever I do move into a larger room I'll add an appropriately sized dedicated subwoofer to handle the lowest of the low sound that the Threes might not be able to fill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jwglista

• spacelab's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
spacelab Posted 11 years 1 month ago
11 x 11 - is this feets or meters ?

Thank you

11 x 11 is in feet.

Thanks for the input on the small rooms. I am very close to just telling my dealer to order them, but I really want to push to see if I can have an in-home audition first. $2000 is a lot of money, and if I buy new and sell used (if they don't work in my room), I'm losing a lot of money. If the option of trying them in home wasn't available, I'd probably just say let's do it. My dealer is a bit reluctant to let me take them home though. I'm still trying to work on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spacelab

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline
Well I am happy to report that that Triton 3s are working great in this room. I only have about 4 hours on them at the moment but they have already improved. I'm looking forward to even more improvement. I need to start shopping for speaker cable because I can no longer use Kimber shotgun 4tc/8tc biwire cables. Anyone have any recommendations?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, spacelab

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 3s in 11x11 Room