exclamation-circle Balanced Power

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Is anybody using balanced power with any model powered Triton and can attest to any sonic improvement as a result?
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DragonLick's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 6
DragonLick Posted 3 years 8 months ago
120 volts is the same no matter. Whether you measure it one wsy or another, you get the same voltage swing. Sounds like there is some ground lift trickery going on there or something.

Just make sure you have the proper amount of good clean A/C power and you should be ok. I would not worry about how the voltage is measured or otherwise. The power supply in your amp is also designed to clean up power.
Golden Ear Triton One.r (pair), NAD M33 BluOS streaming amp, LG OLED55 TV, Bluejeans 10 AWG speaker cabling, Focal Utopia headphones, Hugo2 DAC/AMP, Mac Pro music file server, Alienware Area 51M R2 master server & calibration

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 3 years 8 months ago

DragonLick wrote: 120 volts is the same no matter. Whether you measure it one wsy or another, you get the same voltage swing. Sounds like there is some ground lift trickery going on there or something.

Just make sure you have the proper amount of good clean A/C power and you should be ok. I would not worry about how the voltage is measured or otherwise. The power supply in your amp is also designed to clean up power.

The voltage swing is different. If I understand correctly (and I could be mistaken), instead of 120 to 0 balanced gives you 60 to 60. I've heard a difference and so have others. There are numerous articles on the internet that attest to the advantages of using balanced power. This is one uadforum.com/general-discussion/12797-ba...-u-needed-badly.html
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

GDHAL wrote:

DragonLick wrote: 120 volts is the same no matter. Whether you measure it one wsy or another, you get the same voltage swing. Sounds like there is some ground lift trickery going on there or something.

The voltage swing is different. If I understand correctly (and I could be mistaken), instead of 120 to 0 balanced gives you 60 to 60. I've heard a difference and so have others. There are numerous articles on the internet that attest to the advantages of using balanced power. This is one uadforum.com/general-discussion/12797-ba...-u-needed-badly.html

Maybe you are correct, however several of those DIY links are outdated 404 pages so I couldnt dig too deep. Also, I know enough electrical/electronics to be dangerous but that DIY biz could be out and out deadly if youre not careful. If this method were so successful then we should see some companies out there producing this kind of gear.
I dont think A/C voltage is even measured with respect to earth ground even. We draw power from between the ground and hot where there is a difference in voltage of 120v no matter how you look at it.I think common mode noise still gets zeroed out either way, though I still could be missing something here.
It seems to me that you wont see much improvement unless maybe you have some really dirty a/c power in your area.

If all these so-called remedies really work, why then cant we see the results via really sensitive test gear? All I ever hear from ppl is how they can clearly hear a difference. If its so clear then we should be able to measure less noise and less distortion.
Golden Ear Triton One.r (pair), NAD M33 BluOS streaming amp, LG OLED55 TV, Bluejeans 10 AWG speaker cabling, Focal Utopia headphones, Hugo2 DAC/AMP, Mac Pro music file server, Alienware Area 51M R2 master server & calibration

GDHAL wrote:

That should read -60v to +60v voltage swing is the same distance as +120 to 0.

I also agree that any differences we hear in sound we should be able to measure as noise, THD or just measure the difference between actual power and and perfect sine wave. What ever the difference is, we dont want it. Sure, having a perfect 120v sine wave for power would be great. Also, my NAD M33 is a class D power amp with Eigentack So it already produces like 0.005% TDH so not even sure that cleaner power will even help all but the dirtiest power, crappy power supplied amps out there. It may not even help mine. How can I know?

Well, for one thing, I know power matters, just not how much and when it matters. I wish GoldenEar and others would stop leaving us folks to figure all this out on our own and finally do some testing and give us all the real scoop instead of all this near-pointless discussion that is forever going to be subjective. I want real testing and real results.
The wonkiness of our brains can trick us into believing all kinds of things thru confirmation bias. That means I can barely trust my own ears except when the difference in sound is pronounced. I want data...not guesses

I agree, who ever you are!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back