file Living Room 3D Array X

• Nick_V's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Nick_V Posted 8 years 1 month ago
I finally got the GoldenEar 3D Array X set up in my new house, and I can highly recommend it.

I've had it set up for about a week. So far just some music on Spotify, a bit of TV and a couple movies on Netflix. I'll run some high resolution music through it sometime soon.

I currently have it paired with a Denon AVR-X3200 receiver and a KEF Q400b sealed 10" subwoofer (thinking about adding a second one or returning it and getting a single SVS SB1000 or Rythmik L12 instead).

So far I am blown away by this system. I'm not sure what I was expecting with this passive L/C/R speaker, but it far surpasses my expectations. It isn't a dedicated system with towers and 7 channels, but it doesn't sacrifice nearly as much as I expected it would in basic sound quality compared to my other systems.

So far I'm loving it, just need to up the ante on the quality/quantity of the bass to suit the rest of the system.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Nick,

Thanks for the feedback on the 3D Array and the pictures of your room. Beautiful space! I can see why on wall or in wall solutions would be best for your room. If you wanted to add additional speakers, the Invisa models may be just the right solution. That is a lot of cubic footage to fill with sound.

Along those lines, I'd recommend adding a second sub versus just upgrading to a single larger sub. With that large a space, a second sub should help dramatically with dispersion. Based on the look of your room, I'm guessing you don't want large subwoofers detracting from the aesthetics, I know I wouldn't. A SuperSubX may be a good solution for you when it comes out; otherwise, the ForceField subs are fairly compact as well.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• Nick_V's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
Nick_V Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Thanks for the comment.

I have the opportunity to pick up another KEF Q400b subwoofer for dirt cheap (same as the first one). Just under $400 Canadian dollars.

Just wondering if it makes sense to go that route (even though it's not the best sub ever) or if it makes more sense to just return the first one (I'm still in the 14 day return window) and pick up a single Rythmik L12 or SVS SB1000? The SVS is just under $100 cheaper than the 2 KEF subs, and the Rythmik is about $75 more expensive than the 2 KEF subs. I know that 2 subs is better (especially in this room), but I would eventually add a second Rythmik or SVS, I just can't sneak that kind of purchase past the significant other right now.

I'm after tight, musical bass and you're definitely correct about the aesthetics of small sealed subs in this room. I'd put one in each front corner of the room with an outlaw audio wireless sub kit and a plant on top of each sub to blend them in a little bit.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 1 month ago
Nick,

I've never heard any of the subs you're referencing first hand but from the specs, the KEF is a 200 watt, sealed 10" sub and you have a huge room! If you're not happy with one, chances are you wont be happy with two. What are your goals for the subs? You'll probably have to compromise room aesthetics versus performance but we all make compromises of some sort. Putting one in each corner is a great plan.

The best advice is to get the best speaker you can afford. The SVS SB-2000 looks like it's in the range of the Rythmik as well, as are a few of the ForceField subs. SVS subs get great reviews and seem to have a good return policy. Have you heard the Rythmik or SVSound in person? I guess from my perspective, you should be able to audition the ForceField sub in person and they are designed to go with the 3D Array. Your local dealer may even let you do an in home audition to see if you like the sound and look of the sub. Otherwise, you could sit on the KEF for now and save up for the SuperSubX when it comes out.

Just a few thoughts. Ultimately, you'll figure out what's best. Some times it's best to be patient and save up a bit to get what you really want and need.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System Living Room 3D Array X