file Speaker choice

• jmullen179's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jmullen179 Posted 11 years 10 months ago
I am installing a speaker set up in my living room and think I have finally figured it out but I would like another opinion.

I have a 60 inch Panasonic TV above the fireplace. I am using an Anthem D2 Preamp and a Parasound Halo Amp. I initially purchased the SuperSat 50s for the left, right and center channels and the Forcefied 4 for the sub. I mounted the speakers around the TV but determined there isn't enough space between them (after rereading the manual). Unfortunately the left and right speakers then need to be about 1.5ft wider but there is no wall there, just an alcove with a piece of furniture in each 5 ft alcove. Eventually, the alcoves will have built in cabinets and bookshelves (a winter project) After much research I came to the following conclusions about the potential options:

Purchase the desktop stands for the SS50's. I can then place the speakers in the proper position on the furniture.
Replace the SS50's (left and right) with the AON2
Replace all SS50's with INVISA in the ceiling

I am leaning towards the AON2 after hearing them last night. I believe they will give me the most flexibility now and in the future should my wife and I retire somewhere else.

Does this make sense?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 11 years 10 months ago
Perfect sense. Please keep in mind the manual has suggestions for best results, not absolutes. Wider spacing is indeed better to create a big sonic soundstage with great image localization, but plenty of SuperCinema 50 systems get setup just the way you describe and still sound great. How does your system sound?

Desktop stands certainly sounds like the easiest and least expensive choice. If the Aon 2 simplifies and works better in your environment, go for it - they make a great HT and are wonderful for full-range music playback (since your D2 allows multiple audio setups you can easily accomplish both). It certainly will give you great future location flexibility (although so would the table top stands). Invisa in-ceiling would be the exact opposite in terms of re-locating :-), but would be a great alternative (you'd want to get two of the HTR-7000, which won't be available until later this year or early next).

Hope this helps, thanks for the continued interest and enthusiasm.

Thank you very much for your input. I am getting rid of my old Carver stereo and Bose speakers at the wife's request. Footprint is a big deal to her and sound is a big deal to me.

In your opinion, what sounds better to you, AON2 or SSat 50 for the left and right channel? Also, the Forcefield 4 seems a bit big for the room. Is there that much difference between that and the Forcefield 3? Again footprint is the issue.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
"In your opinion, what sounds better to you, AON2 or SSat 50 for the left and right channel? Also, the Forcefield 4 seems a bit big for the room. Is there that much difference between that and the Forcefield 3? Again footprint is the issue"

Aon 2 and SuperSat 50 sound identical, but the Aon is a full range speaker (sub optional) and the SuperSat is a Satellite (Sub required). Apples to oranges.

ForceField 3 plays a little less loud than the 4... unless you are in a very large room or want to play the system VERY loud, I'm sure the 3 would be adequate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmullen179

I replaced the wall mounted SuperSat 50's with two Aon2's. Now I have the flexibility to move them around for best sound and the sound is amazing. Watched The Bodyguard with my wife last night and SHE cranked the volume when Whitney Houston sang "I will always love you"!

Mission accomplished.

I still will have to route the wires now that the placement is settled. I am using some old Monster Cable speaker wire from my old Bose 901 days. I am thinking of adding screw type bananna plugs and am wondering if this is the best option for wire termination. If so what brand would you recommend?

Banana plugs are nice if you plan on disconnecting the speakers regularly (dealer showrooms love them for that reason), but the best connection is going to be with good old bare wire (or if its too thick for that, spade lugs).

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back