file speaker placement for atmos

• JR's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
JR Posted 4 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by JR. info_outline
Hi guys,

I am trying to get the placement for the speakers in the theater room.

Room dimension: 14 x 21 Theater room with 10 foot ceiling in first seating row and 9 1/2 in second seating row.

Planned set up
7.1.4 Atmos
Triton 5 for the front left and right
Invisa MPX for the side and back wall surround speakers.
Invisa 650s for the atmos ceiling height speakers.
Supersub X for the subwoofer
Supercenter reference

Wires for the side surround speakers are 8 feet from the front wall and 6 feet high.
Wires are not in the wall yet for the back surround speakers.
There are currently 3 sets of wires in the ceiling that could be used for height speakers. I will only have 2 sets of actual height speakers.
The first is 8 feet from the front of the room and 4 feet from the side walls.
The second is 13.5 feet from the front of the room and 4 feet from the side walls.
The third is 18 feet from the front wall and 2 feet from the side walls.

First row of seating (with 10 foot ceiling) is 13.5 feet from front wall and spans the entire width of the room.
Second row of seating (with 9.5 foot ceiling) is about 17.5 feet from front wall and is centered in the room.

My biggest questions are in regard to the height speakers and the back wall surround since I don't think the side surrounds can be moved.

First question: Should I use the first and second row of heights or the first and third rows?

Second question: If the using the first and second rows of heights, then I am planning on using all invisa 650s. If using the first and third rows of heights would it be better to use the HTR7000 for the third row?

Third question: I think that I can move the height speakers sideways closer to the side walls if that would be better? Probably could place them anywhere from 1 1/2 feet to 5 1/2 feet from the side wall.

Fourth question: I am assuming since the side surrounds are stuck at 6 feet high, then I should put the back surrounds at 6 feet high too? How far from the side walls should I put the back surrounds in?

Sorry, I tried to use an app to draw this but I couldn't figure it out --- technology dumb, I am.

Thanks for any opinions.
Buddy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Samwise's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
Samwise Posted 4 years 3 months ago
Sorry this is a little late, but I recently joined the forums. I don't know if you have seen this already from Dolby: www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-...ker-setup-guide.html

First question: I would use the first and third rows.

Second question: I would use HTR7000s for all of the height speakers if you can afford it.

Third question: I would try to have the height speakers just outside the most outside seating position on each side.

Fourth question: I'm not sure about the height, ideally they should all be at ear height. Place them so that they are 135-150 degrees from the primary listening position as dolby suggests.

Just my opinions, but I hope that helps!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, JR

• JR's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
JR Posted 4 years 3 months ago

Samwise wrote: Sorry this is a little late, but I recently joined the forums. I don't know if you have seen this already from Dolby: www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-...ker-setup-guide.html

First question: I would use the first and third rows.

Second question: I would use HTR7000s for all of the height speakers if you can afford it.

Third question: I would try to have the height speakers just outside the most outside seating position on each side.

Fourth question: I'm not sure about the height, ideally they should all be at ear height. Place them so that they are 135-150 degrees from the primary listening position as dolby suggests.

Just my opinions, but I hope that helps!

Thank you for the help.

• nhighnote414's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
nhighnote414 Posted 2 years 8 months ago
First, I'd utilise the first and third rows of the table.

Second question: If you can afford it, I would use HTR7000s for all of the height speakers.

Third, I'd place the height speakers right beyond the farthest outside sitting location on either More side.
Fourth question: I'm not sure about the height, but they should ideally all be at ear level. As suggested by Dolby, place them 135-150 degrees away from the primary listening location.

It's just my view, but I hope it's useful!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming speaker placement for atmos