file Music I enjoy and recommend

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
charliehatch Posted 6 years 9 months ago
I have to say, Wayne, that picture's worse than anything I've experienced! But I have had the broken spindle thing too.

My solution to the cardboard sleeve: Remove disc, rip, replace disc and archive, never to be removed again.

Seems a waste, and you don't get to look at the pretty shiny spinning thingie when you listen, but it works for me, as long as the disc rips, which it does 99.99% of the time. When it doesn't, I tell my ripping software (dBpoweramp) to interpolate. I haven't blown up anything yet doing that.

Can't rip the SACD layer though; I have to rip the CD layer. But since I'm half deaf and only 2.0, no hardship! Black & white is fine!

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Ha Ha Charlie, I do enjoy the interaction here!!!!
I just got that pic off the net for an example.
But I do have some pretty bad ones. And several that cannot be ripped.
I too use dBPoweramp so I would REALLY like to know how in the heck you get it to interpolate???????
It ticks me off when some disc I just bought is not in AccurateRip or whatever it is called, but worse than that, when I cannot get an accurate rip, and it knows it because it can compare it with 46 other people's rip BUT will it give me an accurate rip anyway????? Heck NO.
I mean, I paid for the CD, I just want a good copy for my own use.
And I do like you about the cardboard package, usually, IF it is a two channel recording.
I too would love to have a copy of the SACD layer, but cannot, and one of the 5.1 but cannot and no way to play it anyway.
And I too am half deaf!!! But Black and White is not good enough!!!!
Ha ha
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

WayneWilmeth wrote: I too use dBPoweramp so I would REALLY like to know how in the heck you get it to interpolate???????
It ticks me off when some disc I just bought is not in AccurateRip or whatever it is called, but worse than that, when I cannot get an accurate rip, and it knows it because it can compare it with 46 other people's rip BUT will it give me an accurate rip anyway????? Heck NO.

Same problems I have encountered. Sometimes there's a damaged spot on the disc that I can't even see. So when it rips, it calculates some sort of thing and compares it to what's on file at AccurateRip. When it doesn't match, mine will rerip the track and see if it gets the same answer twice. Then it will get down to trying to rerip individual frames, something that can take seemingly ten years or more. I got tired of that, hunted around, and found a setting that tells it to stop wasting my time and interpolate. Obviously a CD player must find a way around this problem; maybe it just interpolates.

In the following, I'm running Release 16.1 [64-bit]. If you have something else your menu items might be different.

So, open the CD ripper. Then click on the green menu icon at the top. A new window will open.

At top you'll see Ripping Method. I have it set to Secure. Click on the Secure Settings button. Another window will open.

Go down a ways until you see Individual Bad Frames. First item under that is Maximum Re-Reads. I set mine to 2 times.

Farther down you'll see Secure Rip Abort. Under that heading, you'll see When Have to Re-Rip. I have mine set to 10 frames. You can do more, but it'll take a longer time.

Under that, check Interpolate Unrecoverable Frames. That should do it.

I have mine set to produce .flac files, and, on the DSP tab at bottom center, I also have it do HDCD conversion with a +6 dB Amplification. This automatically looks for HDCD, converts it, and shifts the level up so it's a pretty good match, volumewise, for regular 16 bit CDs. (Otherwise the conversion is 6 dB down and you have to crank up the volume.) If the CD is not HDCD encoded, then it just ignores the conversion. Pretty slick. I love this guy. There were some Warner CDs (pop) that, at some point in time, had HDCD encoding with nothing on the CD to indicate that. So having this setting allows you to rip and convert those hidden HDCDs.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Charlie, you are gonna cost me more money. I finally found my version is 15.3. When I looked for updates I found that you must have the Reference version (I don't have any of those options you are describing). And that will be an additional $20.
I will look, but it sounds like it is worth the money, because right now I cannot get it to interpolate anything. An error is just an error.
Interesting, will have to think about it when it is not 3 am.
Thanks for the great help,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It's only $20...I think I bought the full package for something like $35. Worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, thanks Charlie, if you say so, I believe you, so I must pay up.
Upgrade.
Will do, thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Music I enjoy and recommend