file Currently playing

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 7 months ago
T Cobe

In HT mode, the SCXXL at or near Reference Level with music has no real harshness. It's voices at Reference Levels where sibilance occurs. Playing music today through the Torii sounded absolutely wonderful, but that's only 25 watts and cannot achieve reference levels. Have I noticed any changes through the break-in process? She has sounded great from the start, the biggest change would probably be the bass which has tightened up and has become more tuneful and detailed. The midrange on up, to my ears, has basically stayed the same...sweet. The SCXXL has an overall clarity that the T2's don't have.
Don't get me wrong, the T2's can really strut their stuff in the Saxophone department, but the SCXXL just has better overall clarity when playing sax.

I think Rick and Splash who have owned both the SCXL and SCXXL could give you hands on information which may provide better apples to oranges hearing.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks, Anthem. That's an insightful response. I suspected the clarity would be better due to the balanced crossovers. I think the bass was what changed the most on my SCXL as well over the break in period but it also sounded great right from the start.

I've read that the vast majority of sibilance during playback is from the source. Since the SCXXL sounds so good on music, I suspect that the source material is the biggest issue in your setup. I wonder if some sort of DSP may be the answer.

In any case, I'm glad to hear how much you are enjoying the SCXXL. I have another item on my wish list...Rick and Splash have already provided some great feedback on the SCXXL, but as picky as you have been about center channels, if it passes your critical ear that means a lot!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 7 months ago
OK, it is clear now then, it is the source and not your center channel!!
AND/Or, maybe exacerbated by your Anthem/room interaction, or lack of ARC correct settings.
I know, I know, I am late, T. Cobe beat me to it!!!!
I am not sure if he is faster on the uptake than I am, or just the time difference, he gets to see posts when I am asleep?
I remember when I used to try to use Audyssey, it was horrible, but some settings made movies screechy, sibilant and highs were unlistenable. And when I found some harshness and sibilance on the Eagles Farewell Tour, I figured that must be what is happening to Bro Anthem's Center Channel problems. Anyway, trying to help.

So, we had a cold front blow through and it was 7 C last night, around 45 of your small degrees. And for us that is COLD!!!!
It is a cold day in Thailand and I was gonna BBQ tonight.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 7 months ago
NO "pinched" midrange here...Jeff's guitar is coming through loud and clear.
Jeff Golub / Temptation (2005) -- Have You Heard?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

anthem wrote: T Cobe

In HT mode, the SCXXL at or near Reference Level with music has no real harshness. It's voices at Reference Levels where sibilance occurs. Playing music today through the Torii sounded absolutely wonderful, but that's only 25 watts and cannot achieve reference levels. Have I noticed any changes through the break-in process? She has sounded great from the start, the biggest change would probably be the bass which has tightened up and has become more tuneful and detailed. The midrange on up, to my ears, has basically stayed the same...sweet. The SCXXL has an overall clarity that the T2's don't have.
Don't get me wrong, the T2's can really strut their stuff in the Saxophone department, but the SCXXL just has better overall clarity when playing sax.

I think Rick and Splash who have owned both the SCXL and SCXXL could give you hands on information which may provide better apples to oranges hearing.

Hey, Anthem and T Cobe

Not to over critique this...both the the SCXL and the SCXXl are GREAT speakers!. My observations on when I installed the SCXXL after using a SCXl for a year or so:

The SCXXL just seemed to "team up" with the T1's perfectly. I literally can't discern a difference in SQ or clarity. The SCXXl just matched everything the T1's did. Where I tried many crossovers with the SCXL ((finally settled on 80 HZ for tv/DVD for dialog clarity and 70 HZ for a little extra punch for music). the teamwork between the the T1's and SCXXL is just extraordinary. Any crossover between 60 and 80 HZ works great.

As T Cobe has said about his T1's, and Anthem has said about his SCXXL, I have never looked back on the decision to get them, OR to join them, and they will leave my system, together, over only my "cold, dead body" (did I get that right, Anthem?).

I just listened to Leonard Cohen's "Songs from the Road" Blu-ray again this afternoon, and I was near to tears, again, with how GORGEOUS the sound is. When the sax played, IT WAS THERE, in my living room!! The lower notes conveyed all the breathiness, the higher notes were just so clean and pure. Perfect!!I felt like I could reach out and touch that sax.

It's pretty darned DIFFICULT to think of a GEt speaker combination that DOESN'T sound great. I've said it before: the GEt speakers are the soul of my system. There may be some component decisions I revisit over time, but I'm hooked on GEt speakers.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, Splash51, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

Thanks, Rick. Great feedback on the SCXXL! At this point, it's probably a matter of when, not if.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, Splash51

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back