file Update to Bass Enhancement Experiments (Formerly "Some News From Raleigh NC")

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: Fix it info_outline
Hi Charlie,

My Raleigh Room is long and fairly narrow (27 ft by 15 ft) with sloping side walls along the long side. Due to other considerations, I cannot utilize the long dimension, so my audio and AV gear is aligned along one of the long walls and we sit along the other long wall across the room. Considering that my Ones are a couple of feet away from the wall and our listening positions are several feet away from the other long wall, the actual distance from my PLP to the speakers is about 10 feet. However, due to other constraints, I cannot achieve the equilateral triangle - the speakers are farther apart than the distance from either speaker to my PLP.

Not ideal be any means, but the best I can do. I have my SuperSat 3Cs in between my Ones and my Sevens on each side. These speakers are driven by a separate amp, so I can adjust their volume independently to help "smooth out the sound".

As for my movie system it is just a 2.1 system (Front L/R and two subs, no center) - adequate for our needs.

I continue to be very pleased with my newest music setup. I have a lot of musical bass, even at very low room volume and I can control just how much bass I add to maintain the musical balance, while the whole sound always emanates from my Ones.

Perhaps I have made a small "sonic breakthrough" after all.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: charliehatch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Hi Gang,

Thought I would post a quick update regarding my listening experiences with my latest musical setup. I am now completely convinced that being able to augment the bass with a separately-controlled capability, while keeping all of the sound reproduction within my GE speakers, is a major plus, at least for me. I have now listened to a number of recordings of a wide variety of music. Being able to independently adjust and add a bit of bass augmentation while doing so within my GE speakers set is a major improvement for me.

I won't repeat details of how I have done so - those details are covered in earlier posts. I will just say that I would encourage everyone to consider what I have done and to consider adding this capability, if gear and conditions permit.

I will be happy to provide whatever additional details someone might need, via private emails or by whatever means folks deem appropriate.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, charliehatch

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Hello Everyone,

I have re-titled this post to reflect an on-going discussion related to my use of an older 5.1 Sony AV Receiver for the sole purpose of providing enhanced bass to my Triton Ones (by providing a sub-woofer output from the Sony as an input to the Ones' LFE jacks).

I have been listening to various musical selections, ranging from classical to bluegrass to jazz, while varying the Bass Level Setting on my Triton Ones and using my Sony to augment the bass as appropriate for the particular recording to which I am listening. I have convinced myself that the GE-recommended "12 o'clock position" for the Triton Ones' Bass Level is the best setting for the most natural bass sound - whether or not I am augmenting the bass and regardless of how much bass augmentation I might be providing for a particular recording.

Increasing the Triton Ones' Bass Level beyond this position seems to decrease the clarity and natural-sound of the bass. I seem to have much more control with the overall quality of the bass when I leave the Ones' control at 12 o'clock and use my Sony to provide additional bass if needed.

Another result of my listening experiments: Now that I have bass augmentation capability, I am finding that, in my room, with my PLP about 11 feet from my Ones and my Ones being about 11 feet apart (the desired equilateral triangle setup), I am listening more and more at lower volume levels, even when Sheryl is not present. The overall sound seems to be smoother (less harsh) at lower volume levels and I do not sacrifice bass at the lower levels because I can provided needed augmentation.

I realize that what I am reporting flies in the face of much conventional wisdom regarding listening at full room volume. For the record, I am familiar with full concert volumes as experienced in a concert hall - both as an audience member and as an on-stage performer. Yes, it is much louder, but the venue is huge and, in my opinion, in no way comparable to listening in my room.

If anyone in our group has similar capability (an extra AV Receiver lying around), I would be really excited to hear about their impressions of trying out my approach.

Continued happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, charliehatch

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Update to Bass Enhancement Experiments (Formerly "Some News From Raleigh NC")