heart Power Cords

• fred1942's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 57
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fred1942 Posted 5 years 1 month ago
You guys really have me thinking about clean power. A few years ago when I installed my theater I bought a Furman F1000 UPS, mainly to supply battery power to my projector until I can shut it down to save my bulb when we have power outages, which happens frequently in Florida . Even though it is supposed to provide clean power, i’m not sure how well it does that.
My Audience power cords along with a few Harvesters will arrive in a few days. If I plug one of those Harvesters into one of the receptacles from the Furman and it blinks, will that mean dirty power out of the Furman? Maybe Charlie has the best solution with his P20.

Fred

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 1 month ago
Fred,

I have no experience with the harvesters or high-end conditioners, but I'd like to comment on another factor I think is important. Keep in mind that I'm not an electrical engineer (I'm mechanical), so I may be missing something important. What follows is based on a lot of reading, thinking, and listening.

I think there's more going on here than reducing noise or incoming power wave distortion, although those are important. I think another big factor that makes the P20 so effective is it's output impedance, which is near 5 milliohms. It is, on the output side, similar to a large audio amplifier with feedback, like good solid state amplifiers.

Why is this important? I think it's because devices with limited power supplies have to "reach out" and draw power on demand to refill the power supply components. And that reach includes a supply circuit that goes all the way back to your local power company transformer, which has high inductance. Any upstream power line impedance will cause the incoming voltage to droop slightly, preventing the power supply from reaching it's maximum level. At 60 Hz, reactive impedance is low, but at 10 kHz, there is a significant impedance associated with the upstream transformer. Then add all the DC resistances in the daisy chain going back to the transformer. Not the wire, necessarily, but the multiple contact connectors.

So, by regenerating with extremely low output impedance, the audio device can get the power it needs without voltage droop.

Note that some conditioners have inductors that filter out supply noise and may have significant impedance at higher frequencies.

My experience with the P20 has been an increase in fine detail, which is consistent with this view.

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Thanks Charlie for your in-depth reply. Now I have a better understanding of what is going on.
I’m sure you studied the P20 vs other less expensive PS Audio products. Any opinion on the P3 ?
Fred

• charliehatch's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 904
charliehatch Posted 5 years 1 month ago
Fred,

I don't have any experience or opinion on the P3. I do know that the P20, besides having higher current capacity, has improved performance (including the low impedance, if I remember right). You might take a look at the PSAudio forums. There has been a lot of discussion on these (and others in the line).

Charlie
Digital source > multiple boxes and cables that are always changing > Triton Reference speakers

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 1 month ago
HDMI has some fairly cut and dried requirements, depending on how much performance you need. Currently, HDMI 2.0 cables that are certified to meet the "Premium High Speed" level will pass pretty much everything 4k60 and below. This includes Atmos, 4k HDR, 4:4:4: chroma, etc. See this for some of the many levels, including the next one, HDMI 2.1: www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Here is an interesting article on the Premium Certification. I do not mean this to make brand recommendations, just that it's a good article. www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/premium-hdmi-cable.htm

A quick online search will bring up about a gazillion hits... quite the rabbit hole!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Thanks Charlie. What I am learning to get the best out of my GE’s has been enlightening. I am very happy with what I have now. My new Reference center and One.R’s have made a big difference over my Two’s and XL. But there is always the what if. My Audience Forte power cords arrived today. Will start adding a few pieces at a time, Furman surge protectors then the power cords to see if I hear any changes. Maybe a power plant down the road. What a great, but expensive adventure.

Fred

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back