file Invisa HTR or MPX?

• Space Cowboy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Space Cowboy Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Hi,

I'm putting a system in my bathroom and would like to use either Invisa HTR or MPX speakers in the ceiliing or wall. Based on the attached photo of the bathroom, what do you suggest? Speakers will be driven by a Sonos Amp. If wall mounted, they would likely need to be up high, above the doors/shower enclosure.

My goal is to have good dispersion in the room that makes it into the shower without sounding muffled. I like to crank the tunes while getting ready!

Currently, the speakers on the counter work, but lose a bit of mid/high when in the shower. My thought was a pair of MPX speakers mounted in the wall above the doors to the left and right of the shower would be best but not opposed to doing in the ceiling and using HTRs if that will sound the best. I have access to both locations via the attic.

Also, if I want some additional low end, is putting a sub in the attic a bad idea? Will the sound make it through the ceiling/wall?

Thanks for the guidance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 4 years 8 months ago
Something to consider is the Invisas are not designed for direct exposure to moisture. Mounting them high right near or above the shower might shorten their life.

Thanks - would this be true if putting speakers in the ceiling instead? While there is definitely steam coming from the shower, does not fill the room. It is large and well ventilated.

If the room is simply humid it might be OK. Right over the shower might be a problem. Sorry, but I really can't make a recommendation based on knowing that's not part of their specific design goals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Cowboy

Understood. So after listening to a few options at ListenUp, I ultimately decided on 4 650s that will go in the ceiling as my end goal is imaging and balance. A pair will go above each sink and will end up with a left/right in the center, in-line with the shower. The ceilings are over 15' so crossing my fingers that moisture won't be an issue and appreciate the warning.

On a side note, the HTR 7000s sounded awesome in the sweet spot, and appeared to have more pronounced bass. But, the dispersion wasn't as good when walking around the room and for roughly the same price as 2 HTR 7000s, 4 650s seem a better option.

As these will be connected to a Sonos Amp and Sub, I'm not concerned about what might be a slight loss in bass coming from these. Sonos did a killer job of allowing the end user to tweak the crossover and sub levels in the app. I did a test in my kitchen and compared to a pair of B&W CCM684s that the salesperson told me would blow me out of the water. The B&Ws definitely had more bass but when paired with the Sub and flipping back and forth with the 650s, the 650s just had better harmonics to my ears. I love the mids and highs of the GEs!

Anyway, I'm not opposed to doing 4 HTR 7000s, or even going with 4 MPXs (they didn't have any on display), if you think that would be worth it. Can you let me know your thoughts?

MPX are larger, but the splayed drivers might give you more coverage. Regardless, 4 of the 650s would do a great job, too!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Invisa HTR or MPX?