file Triton One vs Triton 2+

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 8 years 4 months ago

Michael McGrath wrote: Yeah I've heard both, the room I was in was well treated and balanced. The Triton Ones sounded fuller. I guess I need to take them home and see if they fill my space better than the 2+. I love having the 2+ at home.

What about the center channel? I brought home the supercenter xxl, but it just didn't WOW me. It sounds great, and definitely better than my current center, but I expected something else. I had to manually balance it of course because my denon audyssey put the levels too low.

I don't have the T1's nor the T2's plus...but I do have the original T2's and they sound great. If space is not an issue and money grows on trees in your neck of the woods, I'd opt for the T1's, that way you wouldn't have to wonder "What If"...

As for the SCXXL...you say it "Just didn't WOW you"...explain that. More than likely something isn't set correctly.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael McGrath's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
Michael McGrath Posted 8 years 4 months ago
I was demo'ing it against my martin logan vignette with martin logan source L/R speakers. But i also tried with only the center plugged in. It sounded good, i just didn't hear what all i assume others are hearing when I read about how amazing it is. Watching DTS tracks in movies with a Denon x3000 AVR.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 4 months ago
If I may chime in on two things. First, were you listening to the center speaker with your Audyssey running? If so, all bets are off. You'll need to turn it off and all other EQ and dynamic control functions (which are turned on when you run Audyssey and don't go away when you turn it off unless you go in an manually do so.) Also, careful positioning regarding reflective surfaces and speaker height is critical to hearing the performance the SC XXL is capable of producing.

From a speaker choice standpoint, there is no such thing as too big, they're only too big if they're too big for your aesthetic needs or your budget (but too small for your room, or your tastes in volume levels and bass quantity, is certainly valid). If you can afford the Ones and can tolerate the size in your space, there is no question that would be the best choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

I've turned off audussey and balanced using an spl meter from radio shack.

here is my room::
www.roomle.com/app/editor/8a701c315471c9...98ce8e62fa4?shared=1

The triton ones sound better when closer to center(edge of fireplace) but the center sounds better if I spread them out to the walls and toe them in. I'm going to have to play with the positioning and levels some more.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Michael,

Welcome to the forum! I think you're in good shape here. You've already received great input from GDHAL, Anthem, and Moderator Dude. I was in a similar situation as you when I purchased my T1s. I really wanted to save the cash and go with the T2s, but once I heard the T1s, I couldn't escape their grasp.

Bottom line up front, if I started fresh today, I would probably go with the T2+ and SCXXL just like you were auditioning. In my time auditioning the T1s and previous T2s, I found the biggest difference in sound was the added clarity of the T1s. Yes, the bass is also more powerful but I'm only using about 50% of my T1s amp power and I have a large, heavily treated room and love bass. The T2s have plenty of bass as well and I doubt you would come up short there.

With the changes in the T2+, I'm guessing the audible difference between the T1 and T2+ is minor. It took a fair amount of critical listening with the T2s to hear a difference and that was with 2-channel listening with high end gear and great recordings. My guess is that if you did a blind test in your room with your gear, you would have a hard time telling the difference between the two models for home theater use at sane volumes. To me, the T2 is really in the sweet spot within the GET Triton range.

Now, do I regret buying the T1s? Absolutely not! if you go with the T1s, I doubt you'll regret it unless you're simply looking at them based on the allure of the bigger, better, faster; as is human nature. If that's all this is, I say "stop it!" There will always be a bigger, better, faster than what you have. I'm sure GET will eventually one up the T1 and I won't budge or blink an eye. All my .02. Take it with a grain of salt and enjoy the decision making process. I'll close with this:

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Thanks for the input TCOBE. I just finished several hours of auditioning with the triton ones and super center xxl. I found that I actually preferred the sound when I disabled the center in my receiver.

As for the ones vs. the 2+... I've read a lot of reviews over the last 6 months of speakers and one of the things i saw people say was there was a brightness on some GE lines... I think i felt that in the 2+ but i described it to myself and another as the T1s were deeper or fuller.

Suffice to say i'm in love. So i'll be ordering my T1s tomorrow. The next item after i sell my martin logan gear is to get one of these anthem receivers. I'm so curious to try the ARC with my golden ears.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton One vs Triton 2+