file Triton One vs Triton 2+

• Michael McGrath's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Michael McGrath Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Yes. I've decided on getting the Triton One towers. Order is in. Fortunately I have an awesome AV Store here and they are letting me hold on to the demos until mine come in. I've just dialed them in the best I can without having the anthem receiver yet (my next purchase).

I've watched Mad Max, Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow. My room is pretty open to the back and one side (L-shape) but i've had to dial down the levels to -11.0dB and leave the dial on the back at 10:30... even then its almost too much bass during some scenes. Volume set to -17.5dB.

When its all said and done one day I plan to have either:
2x Triton 5 surrounds
2x Aon 3 surround backs
4x Invisa 650 or 4x Invisa HTR 7000

slowly but surely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago

Michael McGrath wrote: Yes. I've decided on getting the Triton One towers. Order is in. Fortunately I have an awesome AV Store here and they are letting me hold on to the demos until mine come in. I've just dialed them in the best I can without having the anthem receiver yet (my next purchase).

I've watched Mad Max, Interstellar and Edge of Tomorrow. My room is pretty open to the back and one side (L-shape) but i've had to dial down the levels to -11.0dB and leave the dial on the back at 10:30... even then its almost too much bass during some scenes. Volume set to -17.5dB.

When its all said and done one day I plan to have either:
2x Triton 5 surrounds
2x Aon 3 surround backs
4x Invisa 650 or 4x Invisa HTR 7000

slowly but surely.

Congratulations, Michael!

Great speakers, and whatever you choose for GEt surrounds/backs/ceilings,, you're building a fantastic system that will reward you with just amazing sound. (and, yes, isn't the bass amazing!!!)

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Michael McGrath, as you've already taken my advice (i.e. see post number 2 in this thread) let me offer my congrats, etc. etc.....

As to your 10:30 setting, that sounds about exactly perfect. Suggestion... go to 10:15 and leave it there. Then, when you get the new ones (to replace your demo) start at 11. Let the T1s "break in" for a while and invariably I suspect you will be lowering to 10:45, 10:30 and then ultimately 10:15 over the course of 6 weeks or so.

All the while keep on mind - as the moderator has confirmed - that each "o'clock' setting equates to approximately 1.5 db (although if you factor in professional review feedback, 1.75 db can certainly be used) of plus/minus from flat.

I think TCobe can chime in on the break in period better than I, but you're definitely in the ballpark with 10:30!
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Michael McGrath's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
Michael McGrath Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Thanks GDHAL,

Thats good to know that i'm already on the right track. I'm only using the radio shack SPL meter with a spears and munsil disc at the moment for setting the levels. I hope to have a more professional approach after I am able to finish the setup.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Michael,

Congrats on the T1s! Better to go for the speakers you love first and be patient on the rest. You really can't go wrong with the T1s. I doubt you'll ever regret the purchase. Your plan for the remaining speakers looks great!

Regarding bass, the "flat" setting for the T1s is at the 12:00 position but bass really has a lot of variables. The room, placement, and listening preferences are probably your primary considerations. Anywhere from 10:00 to 12:00 is a great place to start. Your room correction software will have an easier time in that range.

I'm probably a bit of an outlier for my settings. I have my setup in a basement, with a large and open floor plan, with a lot of room treatments. I also like a fair amount of bass. For all these reasons, my gain knob is at the 13:00 position. This is my preferred setting with my speakers in their current location. I have to turn them down to perform room calibration and then adjust to taste afterwards. That has been Moderator Dudes advice and it works well.

Bottom line, there are a lot of variables for setup and in the end what matters most is listen ending preferences. Check back in once you get the T1s home and let us know if you have any trouble with setup. There is a lot of collective experience here from which to benefit. Congrats again!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Well, I was in the neighborhood of my local GET dealer yesterday and stopped in to see if they had the T2+. Sure enough, they had them setup in their home theater room along with the SCXXL. I didn't have a lot of time so I was only able to listen to a few songs from Ray Charles: Genius Loves Company, and Charles Mingus: Mingus Dynasty. The first was to evaluate the mid bass and tweeters and Dynasty to evaluate the sub section.

Audio memory is not as precise or reliable, so it would be difficult to compare the T2 to the T2+. I can say that the T2+ is every bit as open and transparent as the Triton One. The sound was open and full of air. I was able to perceive the spatial cues and separation between instruments and vocalists in Genius Loves Company. The redesigned crossover and midrange drivers have certainly done their job. I was able to perceive what Michael was referring to in that the T1s still have a fuller sound. I think the midrange on the T1s may be a bit warmer and textured.

Based on my previous memory and GDHALs comments about the sub section, I wanted to evaluate that as well. Only playing music, I probably didn't get anywhere near bottoming out the frequency response, but I did give the T2+ a bit of a chance to show its chops with the bass lines in Fever on Genius Loves Company and a few tracks on Mingus Dynasty. The T2+ was definitely just as detailed in this area as well and very musical. Each note was crisp and distinct with no muddiness. While everything sounded great, GDHAL is correct that the sub section on the T1 is better. This was probably the most noticeable difference for me. The sub was not as rich and musical as the T1s. Again, there was a bit of texture missing compared to the Ones.

I'll admit that this was a quick comparison and it was performed with a McIntosh disc player, Anthem AVM 60 as the preamp, and the new Anthem MCA 525. I'm sure with better gear and some tuning I would have been able to improve things. Maybe to the point there would be no discernible difference without doing an A to be B comparison in the same session. There are a lot of variables.

In the end, I found the ew T2+ to be a definite improvement over the previous generation. The sound was every bit as detailed, open, transparent, and magical as the T1s. I still feel this is the sweet spot in the Triton line. I certainly don't mean to disparage the new T2+ with any of my comments, but rather just offer a comparison between these two fantastic speakers. If I were in the market today, I would have a difficult time deciding which speaker to purchase. They both sound great and similar. Assigning value to modest improvements is a very individual thing. Deciding if the T1s are $1,500 better than the T2s is a very individual decision; and there is no wrong one.

Good choice, Michael! I think I would have made the same decision. I hope you are enjoying your demo models at home and are getting all of your settings tuned in. You shouldn't need to change anything when your new T1s arrive. The sound may change a little as they break in but not much. Certainly not enough that you would need to change settings. I think after about 50 to 60 hours the sound seemed a bit more open and warm, along with a slight improvement in the bass. These improvements were very slight to me but going from a completely broken in T1 to a brand new one out of the box, don't be surprised if they sound a little different. I would give them a few weeks before you make any changes in positioning or settings that you dial in now.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton One vs Triton 2+