file Triton One vs Triton 2+

• Michael McGrath's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Michael McGrath Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Yeah, I demo'd both side by side only moments in between and while it as unable to tell a quality difference at all, it was like i said earlier, it just felt fuller with the T1.

I got an email yesterday saying my speakers have already arrived so I'm going to pick them up this morning. As for breaking them in, Is there any do's or don'ts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Michael,

That was fast! You really have a great dealer there. Letting you take models home for a demo and keeping them there until yours arrive... Very nice!

I know there are all sorts of schools of thought on this one. I don't go in for all the tricks and shenanigans. I would just hook them up with your calibrated settings and placement already dialed in and use them normally for a few weeks before tweaking anything. I know there are discs out there with special "burn in" noise but I would prefer to just enjoy the speakers with normal listening versus having pink noise. Some people put music on while they are away to give them the hours.

Maybe Moderator Dude would have something more specific on the don'ts but my guess is that following the owner's manual will be all you should need. My vote is for "plug them in and use them normally". Congrats again! I look forward to hearing your thoughts and progress as you build your system.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by GDHAL. info_outline

Michael McGrath wrote: As for breaking them in, Is there any do's or don'ts?

Hey Michael, while I don't think there is anything written in stone one way or another, I would recommend remaining somewhat conscious of the wattage and resulting decibel level you drive them to. For instance in my case I have an amp that can easily have the T1s singing above 110 db. It might not be such a great idea to push the Triton's like that straight out-of-the-box. On the flip side, in order to "break them in" per se, you wouldn't want to just play extremely low wattage (like late night background levels). Of course during the course of normal listening the volume will/can vary considerably, but what I'm saying is that (and again this is only my opinion) they are likely to "break-in" by running realistic decibel levels through them as opposed to the extremes (low or high). That said if heavy metal is your preference and you're after insane levels (say over 115 db which given the wattage spec on the T1s they are capable of), it probably won't damage anything except your ear drums and relationship with the neighbors. ;)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Hi, Michael

Re speaker break-in, T Cobe and GDHAL have given good advice. I also just started playing music at moderate levels right out of the box without resorting to things like playing special break-in discs, or having the speakers face each other and reversing the polarity of one of the speakers to minimize noise levels. I did make a point of playing some music with a good wide frequency range, though, including some decent bass, so that all the drivers including bass got some working out (plus I love the bass they produce anyway). I didn't really over push the volume at first, played a lot in the 75 db range, just as a precaution, though as others have pointed out they're pretty rugged, forgiving speakers.

Enjoy! Play whatever you like and they will reward you.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe

• Michael McGrath's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 24
Michael McGrath Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Thanks all,

They are set up and i've started some listening at average levels. One thing i immediately noticed is they have a lot more punch than the demos i was using. The demos didn't sound bad but my wife and I did question if they were worth 1500 more than the 2+ (the 2+ only had 60 hours on them and were new to the shop). But now that i have these set up its a definitive YES. They sound amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton One vs Triton 2+