file projector

• guitar09!'s Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
guitar09! Posted 8 years 5 months ago
I was wondering if it is ok to ask a question about projectors? I just had a demo of the Triton ones and 2 +. Truly an experience. I am going with the triton 2 + and the dealer said i have this projector that i was seeing at the time watching a movie while i demoed the trtions, and he said it is a Sony VPL 350ES (true 4K)market price $10,000 he said he wants to sell it to put up the new model sony had coming out. Price for me $6000, a new bulb, 3 year warranty. Is it worth it? I could get a JVC for around $5000K that upscales to 4K and has better blacks. If all goes to 4K which i think it is, then i may be left in the dust. Still i would have a great pic but i could also have a true 4K and be ahead of the times. Thoughts please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Congrats on ordering the Triton Two+, I'm sure you'll love them.

As for the projector, I'm not quite sure you'll get the feedback you'd like from this forum as this company and the posters that frequent here tend to have more knowledge and experience with Audio than Video.

Perhaps you may get this question answered on a forum with posters with video knowledge such as www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end...tors-3-000-usd-msrp/

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Guitar09!,

Dark is right, as usual, not a lot of projector talk around here. I'm sure there are a few of us that have them and have done some research. In general, Sony makes very good projectors and there are similarities with JVC in terms of picture technology. 4K is still an emerging technology and the projector selection is minimal and expensive. I've been keeping an eye on the news and expect the price to come down significantly in the next 12 months.

Picking the right projector and screen combination for your intended use is tricky and critical. Can you tell us more about the room and how you plan to use/watch? Dimensions, ambient light, type of room, etc.? It would be easier to provide a recommendation with better info. The one downside for the JVC and Sony models, besides high price tags, is light output (lumens). I watch programming in the dark in my theater but when we have company or if the wife joins me, the lights are usually turned on and dimmed. I chose an Epson projector due to its ability to throw a very bright picture. Epson also provides great value in the projector market. I do like the picture quality on the Sony and JVC projectors as well and may step up once 4K technology prices come down to planet earth.

I'll try to post a few other links of some projector review sites I found extremely helpful when I was educating myself and shopping around. That Sony sounds like a pretty good deal with a new bulb and full warranty. You'd definitely be saving a couple thousand dollars; however, you're still paying a premium for being an early adopter. Just my .02.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. Congrats on the T2s! I'm looking forward to hearing them at my local dealer. Please post your feedback once you have them.
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dark

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Tetrall's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 69
Tetrall Posted 8 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Tetrall. info_outline
Hey folks Tet here!

I've got a 1080p version of the sony projector, I'll give you my personal review of their product.

The Sony HW-55ES is an excellent addition to my home theater experience, I find it very much worth the price I paid for it.

Let me share a few of the pros and cons of getting into a 4K projector.

If price is no option, go for it. That said, there's a lot of compelling reasons to go for the Hw-55ES or the HW65ES.

First Adopters Burn - Your getting into the 4K before the UHD 4K projectors have come into there own. None of the ones currently on the consumer marker are actually fully functional in color or lumen output. They are on there way, but in my humble opinion you could wait a few years and get an LED/Laser source (they are coming) that will be able to fully comply.

HDMI woes - HDMI 2.0 isn't playing completely nice with the new formats, they are barely within the threshold of bandwidth limits, therefore it is very difficult to establish a good handshake between components.

Not enough content - really, 4K itself isn't what makes UHD awesome. It's the amazing color and contrast offered by the additional lumen count. The content that is currently out, is mostly 4K but not UHD. You'll wait a bit, and then you wont even get the whole benefit of it.

Superiority of LCoS - LCoS has an amazing advantage over other formats as you go larger screen, in the simple fact that the grid is much more difficult to see (tighter larger pixels). This means that with a Sony 1080P you get almost as good of visual clarity. I have a 116" screen and I can tell you at the distance I sit, I can't see a pixel. I can get uncomfortably close before I can see one on a very good De-lite screen.

In summary - I wouldn't recommend buying a 4K native projector yet, it's just not worth it because of the lack of true UHD compliance, connectivity issues, and lack of content, though all of that is coming I still think it's a few years out.

By then, the prices will have come down and you'll have much better options, but stick with Sony! I love my Sony projector! The black levels are amazing, the iris functions without visibility, and the only thing that you have to mess with is the processing... I like the reality creation almost off, it can be way too aggressive on all but Pixar style films.

PS - further research reveals this projector absolutely cannot handle the 4:4:4 color spacing, 10 bit color, or the high dynamic range... so though it can handle the pixel count, you'll lose out on the biggest advantages of UHD.

Go for the 1080P and you'll be miles ahead.
Current System:

Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR838
Fronts - Triton 2s
Center - SuperCenterXL
Surrounds - SuperSat 3s

Ask me about espresso, I'm an expert at that... I'm just learning about audio!

• guitar09!'s Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
guitar09! Posted 6 years 8 months ago
I wanted to thank everyone for their input on my question a year ago. I never saw the response till just now. So thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Happy 2018!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back