file PA vs GE

• dawgman94's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
dawgman94 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Which system would you want? Both companies created by Mr. Gross, both highly recommended, one a slightly newer model, both about the same price.

Goldenear - 2 Threes, 2 Supersat 3, Supercenter XL

Polk Audio - 2 LSiM 707, 2 LSiM 703, LSiM 706C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Dawgman94,

I think you are getting some great price quotes on the Polk Audio. From what I can find on-line, the price on the 707s is about $4,000 to $5,000 a pair. The 703s are about $1,500 per pair and the 706c is about $1,100. That's roughly $7,600. At that price you're looking at a pair of T1s, a pair of Aon 3s, and a SuperCenterXXL.

Between the two, my money is on GET. I think the professional reviews on-line would steer you the same way. On this forum, the overwhelming majority are probably going to say GET. Your ears may tell you something different OR you may be getting the deal of the century on the Polk speakers. In that case, the decision is yours...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• dawgman94's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
dawgman94 Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Mr. Cobe, thanks for the reply and info. Yes, it's a great deal on the PAs but there's always the other train of thought, if I reduce the brand X item so that it's the same price as brand Y, is that a great deal if the brand Y item still outperforms the brand X item (i.e., one may have been overpriced to begin with)?

The hard part is that while I have listen to the GET three and seven (they sounded great). I was unable to find any local dealer where I can listen to the PAs, so I would be buying based on expert website reviews (i.e., soundandvision). Obviously this system was designed after Mr. Gross left, but S&V had this system in their recommended system, and as you mentioned, the retail costs for this flagship PA system has the same regular price as the flagship GET system (but it would be priced at a mid-tier GET system).

While this community would recommend a GET One system versus the PA 707 system, would they recommend the GET Three system versus the PA 707 as well?? And am I "stupid" enough to buy something based on what experts recommend?
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 5 months ago
I'll give you our stock reply, Sandy didn't start a new speaker company to do stuff as good as he did before, he started a new speaker company to set new standards of performance and value, utilizing all new technologies, not a re-hash of decades old designs and technologies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Dawgman94,

I certainly would not invest this kind of money without a first hand audition or money back guarantee. You're decision is a tricky one IF you like the sound of both. Professional reviews and specs can get you in the ballpark, but in the end, you need to conduct your own audition to determine what YOU like best. Good luck and happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Years ago I too was contemplating the Polk Audio LSIM707's but a review in a well known magazine noted that it didn't produce the "air" in the midrange/treble region...bass was also reported to be be less than stellar. I chose the Triton 2's and for over 2 years they have been the best speakers I've owned.

Newaudiovideo.com has some great prices and has been around for years. The Polk's are as listed :

Polk Audio - LSIM707 - $2597.35 pair
Polk Audio - LSIM703 - $974.95 pair
Polk Audio - LSIM706C - $779.97 = $4352.27

GE T3's - $3000.00
GE SS3 - $500.00
GE SCXL $800.00 = $4300.00

Take T Cobe's advice...the GE system will out perform the Polk's. I personally feel with the new updated crossovers etc in the T3's, that they would make phenomenal front speakers and when combined with the SS3's and SCXL would make for a whiz bang system.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back