file Super Center XXL as mains L & R ?

• wweiss's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wweiss Posted 8 years 7 months ago
My den system has Aon 3's as my mains supported by dual 12" subs. Very sweet full range sound maybe 90% of the SQ of my Triton 2's! The downfall is when it gets loud-over 90db the Aons begin to get harsh. Since I'm a rocker 90db+ is territory I frequent often. :woohoo:

The obvious step up would be the Triton 5's but floor standers are not an option in this medium size room. That would make floor standers in three of the living spaces-bedroom-living room and den. Wife would veto that plan. Triton 1's would be my choice if I pulled executive privileges.

After reading how impressed Anthem was with the Super Center XXL for music listening I was wondering if XXL's mounted vertical on the walls as L and R mains would work? $2,500 vs. $2,000 for Triton Fives. Willing to spend the cash if it would be a real step up.

Aon 3's would move to the rear and another XXL for the center would complete the system.
So much music-so little time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, aribraun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 7 months ago
wweiss

I've been thinking about your inquiry as to mounting the SCXXL vertically. Anything is possible, not sure if it is the best solution. First off, both sides (in the horizontal position) have an arc (they aren't flat) which would make for a strange look. Then there's the 11 inch depth plus the 33 1/2 in. length that would give it a really strange look if mounted vertically...the back is flat. The other problem would be with angle and tilt...for me it would be a No Go.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Wweiss,

I'm nor sure about the SCXXL, but I did compare the SCXL to the Aon3 in a left right stereo configuration. The SCXL was clearly, or audibly, better than the Aon3. So I can tell you that 2 SCXLs would be better for sure. I'm sure Anthem will provide a more on target response if he sees this thread. My guess is he will give you the thumbs up but he had commented about the SCXXL sounding a bit strained at high volumes. Let us know what you decide and how it sounds.

Cheers,

T Cobe

P.S. Oops, missed the vertical part... That would be an issue with dispersion of your tweeter.
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Eric Tichi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 76
Eric Tichi Posted 8 years 6 months ago
outside the box... i like it. I really enjoy my xxl in a center configuration and I don't see why you would ever be 'wrong' in doing this. Only opinions (in my opinion.. like my geeky recursion?) would fly around.
Play it loud.

Emotiva UMC-200
Parasound A21
Parasound A23
Triton 5 L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Dayton 18 sealed (DIY)
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Super Center XXL as mains L & R ?