file New guy looking for first time purchase advice

• tk423's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
tk423 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hello there,
I'm looking for a little advice on the setup that I am thinking of getting for my new home.
The builder tried to push me into a all in-ceiling setup that I thought frankly sounded terrible, which led me to explore what else was out there. I am coming from a "best buy" type setup of a lower end Pioneer receiver and a Jamo 5.1 speaker setup with a small sub.

My new home will be pre-wired and I was able to get the builder to agree to do 6 in-ceiling pre-wires (my family room backs into the kitchen with no rear wall...typical Florida great room) and my wife is not keen on a ton of speakers around the room.

This leads me to my proposed setup. I went to my local GE dealer and heard the Triton 5 speakers- sold...they sounded great to me.
I was thinking of Triton 5s, a Supercenter X, and 2 Invisa 650s for rear surrounds. The receiver I am looking at is a Yamaha RA-A2040. Sub- FF3 or 4? Finally, Atmos speakers would be 4 Invisa 525s. This puts me right at $6400 or so. My budget is around 5k to start but I can push the Atmos speakers till later since I will have the prewires. This way I could potentially look at using HTR7000 for the rear and 650s for Atmos.

I've attached a picture of the room layout and my proposed setup to help.

Any advice/critiques would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
TK
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Tk423,

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new home as well! Looks like a great plan you have put together for the home and the surround system.

How high are your ceilings in your living/family room? That will drive the speaker selection to a certain extent. I think the HTR7000s would be great as surround speakers. I would definitely hold off on the Atmos until you get everything else sorted out since your working within a budget. That will easily save you a few thousand dollars. If you are pre-wired and purchase an Atmos enabled receiver, that will be a reasonably easy upgrade later.

Triton 5s will sound fantastic! Depending on how much room you have and how often you watch television, I may recommend the SuperCenter XXL to go with the T5s. If you don't have the space or wiggle room on the budget, the SuperCenterX will serve you well. It would be best to listen for yourself at your local dealer to decide if the gain is worth the cost.

Whatever you decide, please keep us posted. If you're willing, we always love to see pictures as well. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395, tk423

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hey tk423,
I want to echo everything that T. Cobe said, welcome to the forum and welcome to GEt!!!!!!
You have a great plan, it should be a beautiful house and setup, and should sound GREAT!!!!!
I don't know anything about ATMOS, so I can't speak to that, but the T5s and SC X or XL with a FF4 or 5 across the front will be sweet!!!!
Like T. said, please keep us informed, we like to help and hear about people getting a wonderful system.
Have fun with it, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe, tk423

• tk423's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
tk423 Posted 8 years 9 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Tk423,

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new home as well! Looks like a great plan you have put together for the home and the surround system.

How high are your ceilings in your living/family room? That will drive the speaker selection to a certain extent. I think the HTR7000s would be great as surround speakers. I would definitely hold off on the Atmos until you get everything else sorted out since your working within a budget. That will easily save you a few thousand dollars. If you are pre-wired and purchase an Atmos enabled receiver, that will be a reasonably easy upgrade later.

Triton 5s will sound fantastic! Depending on how much room you have and how often you watch television, I may recommend the SuperCenter XXL to go with the T5s. If you don't have the space or wiggle room on the budget, the SuperCenterX will serve you well. It would be best to listen for yourself at your local dealer to decide if the gain is worth the cost.

Whatever you decide, please keep us posted. If you're willing, we always love to see pictures as well. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Ceilings are 9'4"

Thanks for the input, I will look into the larger SuperCenter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Tk423,

With that ceiling height, I'd think the HTR-7000s would be great for surrounds and the 525s or 650s would be great for Atmos. I'd save a little longer and opt for the bigger drivers if it were me, but either would sound great.

I'd listen to a few models of receivers to nail down the one with the sound and features you want. Make sure you get one that has the latest features to future proof yourself a bit. HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. I'm not sure which model Yamaha has the latest connectivity. Marantz has a 5010, 6010, and a 7010 that will fit the bill. Anthem also has a few new models coming as well that will have Atmos and all the up to date connections. Listening to a few of these brands on the T5s should tell you which brand your ears prefer.

Happy hunting, again. Hopefully this is the fun part and you've got all of the fit and finish for the rest of the house picked out. I can only imagine the stress of building new.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, tk423

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 9 months ago
In a home theater, arguably the center channel speaker is the most important. The L/R are next and really not far behind. Subwoofer after that and then surrounds. All my opinion of course. But a lot of people mess up the center by skimping. You can possibly reverse the first two in importance if you're someone for whom music is a higher priority than movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice New guy looking for first time purchase advice