file New guy looking for first time purchase advice

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Thanks, Imahawki, that's precisely why I recommended the SCXXL as a possible upgrade. Based on the layout and the fact that it's a family room, I'm assuming there will be a fair amount of home theater use. I think we are on the same page.

BTW, congrats on the season! I'll be cheering for the Hawkeyes for the remainder of the year. Good luck with the Big10 Championship and the playoffs! Go Big10!!!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 9 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Thanks, Imahawki, that's precisely why I recommended the SCXXL as a possible upgrade. Based on the layout and the fact that it's a family room, I'm assuming there will be a fair amount of home theater use. I think we are on the same page.

BTW, congrats on the season! I'll be cheering for the Hawkeyes for the remainder of the year. Good luck with the Big10 Championship and the playoffs! Go Big10!!!

Cheers,

T Cobe

Not to derail the thread but thanks. Its been a special year. I think we're 3-4 point underdogs to MSU but I'll take that. I think we can win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• lsu123's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
tk423,

It may be a little late for this input, but I have both the HTR7000s and the Invisa 650s installed in my new house. While they aren't in the same room, I have listened to both extensively over the last 7 months or so. Just comparing them directly, the 650 (sounds very very good, and the tweeter can point adjusted somewhat to point to the listening position. I have 4 in my living room/kitchen doing surround and rear surround duty. The 7000s design throws the sound into the room a more directionally and has (to me) a definite sweet spot. When in that sweet spot the 7000 sounds noticeably better than the 650, the sounds is actually quite remarkable for a ceiling mounted speaker. When you move out of that sweet spot there is a noticeable drop-off, but even then they do still sound very very good; just not AS good. If I remember correctly, assuming a 9 ft ceiling, the sweet spot is around 8 feet from the speaker...something along those lines. For what it's worth, mine are installed as rear surrounds in my home theater and are farther back than 8 feet from the listening position. While they are not in the sweet spot in my case, and that is a little regrettable, they still sound very nice and I am quite satisfied with my choice there.

Just looking at your design I would suggest the 7000s for the rear/surrounds and the 650s for the atmos. Of course, that's just my 2-cents so take that for what it's worth! :)
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, tk423

• tk423's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
tk423 Posted 8 years 7 months ago

lsu123 wrote: tk423,

It may be a little late for this input, but I have both the HTR7000s and the Invisa 650s installed in my new house. While they aren't in the same room, I have listened to both extensively over the last 7 months or so. Just comparing them directly, the 650 (sounds very very good, and the tweeter can point adjusted somewhat to point to the listening position. I have 4 in my living room/kitchen doing surround and rear surround duty. The 7000s design throws the sound into the room a more directionally and has (to me) a definite sweet spot. When in that sweet spot the 7000 sounds noticeably better than the 650, the sounds is actually quite remarkable for a ceiling mounted speaker. When you move out of that sweet spot there is a noticeable drop-off, but even then they do still sound very very good; just not AS good. If I remember correctly, assuming a 9 ft ceiling, the sweet spot is around 8 feet from the speaker...something along those lines. For what it's worth, mine are installed as rear surrounds in my home theater and are farther back than 8 feet from the listening position. While they are not in the sweet spot in my case, and that is a little regrettable, they still sound very nice and I am quite satisfied with my choice there.

Just looking at your design I would suggest the 7000s for the rear/surrounds and the 650s for the atmos. Of course, that's just my 2-cents so take that for what it's worth! :)

Thank you so much for this feedback, its exactly what I was looking for. I beleive this is exactly what I will do- 7000s for rear surrounds and 650s for Atmos.
Now, I have a new question- stick with the Triton 5s and 2 SVS PB2000s or "move up" to Triton 2+'s?

Any opinions?
Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, lsu123

• lsu123's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 49
lsu123 Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by lsu123. info_outline
I can't give you my personal experience brain dump on that one just yet, but....

I did buy a pair of T2s (not T2+s) today and should have them in by Friday. I was so excited I already updated my signature to include them, lol. I will certainly give you my thoughts at that point if you would like. What I can tell you today is my reasoning for my decision. My plan was, like yours, to get the T5s and continue to run my two (not matched) external subs. With my previous setup, I've not been 100% satisfied with bass performance, in particular high bass response, using only my two external subs and passive bookshelves up front. Then just two days ago I ran across a great deal on a demo pair of T2s and saw an opportunity for not too much more money to throw more sound pressure into my fairly large dedicated HT room to try to get that more tactile high bass presence. I do plan on running at least one of my current external subs with the T2s once setup, probably both if I can get them all working together nicely. So that's my plan and I'll definitely let you know what I think after a few days if you'd like.

Your proposed setup with the T5s and 2 matching PB2000s would be much nicer than my previous setup where I felt like I was missing high bass/low mids. I think it would be a great option, and like I was was what I had originally planned as well more or less, and COULD even make speaker placement a bit easier on you than the T2+s.

-Edit- I just realized after hitting submit that I was thinking for the best sound possible out of the LR speakers alone, the T5s might be easier to place than the T2+s. But obviously, if you want more base than the T2+s provide (which you may very well NOT need more bass), you would then need to consider where to put those two subs.
Speakers: Triton Two L/R, SuperCenter XXL, Invisa MPX Surrounds, Invisa HTR7000 Back Surrounds, 1 SVS PB1000 Sub, 1 Velodyne DEQ12R Sub
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice New guy looking for first time purchase advice