file Questions for Sandy! (Humor me :))

• fopmc's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
fopmc Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hi Sandy, (I'll be cheeky and address this post to the man himself, and make this a disclaimer it is part in fun, but I see as being helpful, in buying advice since I had these questions cross my mind)

Oh btw, I love your GE line of products!

1) Firstly on the top of the line Tritons, I figured larger is always better, we're talking about airflow here! I'm also talking about the same line of products here, with certain assumptions made! So based on volume of trapezoidal prism: [(A+B)/2]x Depth x Height, I get the following results: inches^3

(There maybe calculation errors :p)
Triton 1 6172.03125
Triton 2 4590
Triton 3 3503.5
Triton 5 4038.50390625
Triton 7 2842.125

Obviously, this is based on overall dimensions, and any figures here are used loosely!
Triton 1 wins here!

2) Now the Triton 2 and 3 were released first and then the Triton 1 and 7, and shipping now (April 2015) the Triton 5.
With the Triton 1 being the flagship model, and released after 2 & 3, it obviously has newer technology, I feel this was a good approach. Now the passives without the subs are also released with tech GE has learnt from Triton 1s, but being smaller and with less driver components. Again the Triton 5 is bigger than the Triton 7 and also newer!

3) Professional reviewers rave, and customers rave all on all model, but recent passive Triton efforts 'seem to suggest' and I say 'suggest' so take it that with a grain of salt, that the Triton 7 perform better on the mids and high (than perhaps the 3s), and the Triton 5s are still too new so the verdict is out on the one, or is it?

Anyways, thanks for bearing with me here, but I have a few ultimate questions here:

Q1:Higher end question: for the price of a pair of Triton 1, $5k the front sound stage is awesome for music, but would a pair of Triton 2 (front), SuperCenter XL (center), and Triton 7 (rear) $5.2K be a better choice overall?

Q2: A pair of Triton 2 ($3K) or pair of Triton 5 with a pair of Forcefield 3 ($3k total) or FF4 option ($3.4k total) be better?

Q3: I know people hate the questions of which is better, because the answer is always: they're different or it depends...
So my final question is: Did you just see trailer for Star Wars Episode VII ? If not, why not (Joking here)

Anyways, I'm sure other will chime in either about this or other things related!

Have fun and Happy Friday!

Thanks
Po
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hey Po, you are a HOOT man!!!!!
This post should have been in the HUMOR section.
Gotta keep laughing.
Enjoy.
With the Triton Ones, you will probably not gain much if anything from powered speakers in the rear for surround. I only have the T2s, so put the T3s as surrounds and T7s in the back. I have a FF5 back there too. Sounds great!!!!
YMMV,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe, fopmc

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago

fopmc wrote: Anyways, thanks for bearing with me here, but I have a few ultimate questions here:

Q1:Higher end question: for the price of a pair of Triton 1, $5k the front sound stage is awesome for music, but would a pair of Triton 2 (front), SuperCenter XL (center), and Triton 7 (rear) $5.2K be a better choice overall?

Q2: A pair of Triton 2 ($3K) or pair of Triton 5 with a pair of Forcefield 3 ($3k total) or FF4 option ($3.4k total) be better?

Q3: I know people hate the questions of which is better, because the answer is always: they're different or it depends...
So my final question is: Did you just see trailer for Star Wars Episode VII ? If not, why not (Joking here)Po

Sandy says:

1) Apples to oranges (stereo to multi-channel) - if you want a multi-channel home theater setup than that's the better choice.

2) If for Home theater, Triton Five plus two ForceField 4, if you have the space for two outboard subs.

3) Of course, now I'm just trying to figure out how to not stand in line on opening night.

(If you read between the lines, it looks like the Triton One (or Triton Two) would be the preferred choice for music systems.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, fopmc

• fopmc's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 154
fopmc Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by fopmc. info_outline
Wayne, there's a humor section? :P
I already have a 5 in-ceiling speaker arrangment!
Waiting for the Triton 1s to be deleiverd and use my current center until I fork out for the SCXL, or if GE releases a SCXXL.

Sandy, thanks for replying. My old art director is the current one on the show, I'm sure I'll catch the show at a later than release date. Exciting times. Oh, on the Episode I release, In a spur of the moment I took a couple of visiting friends to the sold out box office and asked for the manager seats, I was greeted by the manager and taken to the seats. This was back in London, dunno if that still works!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Po,

I think you're on the right track here. The T1s will be a great anchor for a home theater and will provide for an incredible 2-channel experience. As Wayne and others here have said, go for the best you can afford! I've never been disappointed for purchasing on the high side, but I have regretted going low.

I hadn't seen the Episode 7 trailer until today as I've been eagerly following all of the Mad Max: Fury Road teasers... :laugh: Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to what Mr. Abrams can do with the saga! His Star Trek reboot was extremely well done: breathing new life into the franchise. I'm confident he can do the same for Star Wars. I swear I'm hanging out in my own basement and not my Mom's...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, fopmc

• deklein3's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 11
deklein3 Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Great thread. I can't wait to see Mr. Lucas' legacy continue, I still remember opening weekend of A New Hope in 1977 in a theater in Towson, MD ... but I digress

" (If you read between the lines, it looks like the Triton One (or Triton Two) would be the preferred choice for music systems.)"

The between the lines comment really caught my attention. I'm saving my pennies and was pretty set on the Twos until the Fives came out and I saw the reviews. So in my uninformed newbie mind I would have thought the recommendation would have been 180 degrees the other way. I would have thought that the mid-range (new mid/bass divers, etc.) in the Triton Fives would make them plus a sub (or two) more appropriate for music. So is the "recommendation" (realizing that it all depends on many variables, listener preference not being the least of those) based on the inherent integration of the sub in the Triton Two and / or is it that once might get more LFE "punch" with separate subs?

Or am I just way off? May the Force be with you ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Questions for Sandy! (Humor me :))