question-circle Another Newbie, Another Weird Room - Triton ?'s

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Deklein3,

Much of it is a matter of preference; however, the integration you get with the built in subs on the powered towers is second to none. It would be difficult to get an external sub integrated as well as one that is built in to the same tower utilizing the same crossover. Make sense? That said, I think there are some cases where an external sub would be preferable.

I'm in a similar situation to you as I'm currently saving for a set of Triton towers as well. I figured I'd be better off saving for the ones I really wanted versus compromising and regretting it later. I bought the SuperCenter and Aons that will serve as surrounds to tide me over while I save. The waiting still stinks... Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, anthem, deklein3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Splash51's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 408
Splash51 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hi Deklien3,

I have recently changed my entire AV system to GolderEar. I listened to MANY combo's and manufacturers. Without hesitation I can tell you the Triton 1's are the best out there for music and movie sound. The 2's are excellent as well. The only reason to add additional subs with the powered towers would be for effects (sides, rear). I have not add additional subs so far. The T1's (and 2's)have PLENTY of low end. The powered towers have the advantage of off loading your main amplifier driving the low end. This makes a BIG difference when using a receiver to drive multiple channels. Most receivers claim way more power per channel than they deliver when driving all channels. Use the LFE outputs from your receiver to the towers, it does deliver better low end (at least in my setup).

If you decide on passive speakers listen to a pair of the new 5's. My dealer tells me they sound fantastic.

Good Luck and enjoy the ride!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, deklein3

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Deklien3,

Just some aggregate patterns I've noticed from these and other forums:

People who build their systems primarily for music seem to enjoy the great midrange that comes from the passive Sevens.
-This applies more to folks who enjoy genres that are not built around the base (i.e. Hip Hop is best enjoyed with deep bass).

People more interested in movies seem to enjoy the extended and unified bass that comes from the built-in active subs of the Threes and Twos.

Other notes:
-Bassheads like to have a separate sub regardless of which Triton they own.
-The Threes/Twos feature a more 'lifestyle' friendly design than Sevens + subwoofer, so environment and Spouse Acceptance are another key factor that seem to help people decide between the active vs passive speakers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, deklein3

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 5 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Deklein3,

Much of it is a matter of preference; however, the integration you get with the built in subs on the powered towers is second to none. It would be difficult to get an external sub integrated as well as one that is built in to the same tower utilizing the same crossover. Make sense? That said, I think there are some cases where an external sub would be preferable.

I'm in a similar situation to you as I'm currently saving for a set of Triton towers as well. I figured I'd be better off saving for the ones I really wanted versus compromising and regretting it later. I bought the SuperCenter and Aons that will serve as surrounds to tide me over while I save. The waiting still stinks... Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Hi T Cobe,

Talk to your local GE dealer - you might find that the dealer can offer an "extended-payments same as cash" type of plan to help you get your Triton Ones sooner. If not, I can recommend a dealer who does offer such a plan to qualified buyers. You can complete the purchase through a remote dealer without actually visiting the dealer and the speakers can be drop-shipped to your home directly from GE. If you want more details, send me an email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Thank you, Art. It's not a matter of not having the cash or credit available, it's far more difficult than that. My situation requires that I save enough cash from my discretionary budget (weekly allowance) to offset the WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor). :)

The good news is that I may have enough saved by the end of this month or the middle of May to make the purchase. I've been holding back a little as well in hopes that the Triton Five may offer me a little more flexibility when mated with an outboard sub but hoping that the Five will live up to the One may be wishful thinking. My auditions have proved time and again that they are the top dog! I tried talking myself into the T2s and took an objective third party with me to compare the two models. Needless to say, I'm still saving for the Ones.

Please keep the reviews coming and thank you again!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 5 months ago

T Cobe wrote: Thank you, Art. It's not a matter of not having the cash or credit available, it's far more difficult than that. My situation requires that I save enough cash from my discretionary budget (weekly allowance) to offset the WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor). :)

The good news is that I may have enough saved by the end of this month or the middle of May to make the purchase. I've been holding back a little as well in hopes that the Triton Five may offer me a little more flexibility when mated with an outboard sub but hoping that the Five will live up to the One may be wishful thinking. My auditions have proved time and again that they are the top dog! I tried talking myself into the T2s and took an objective third party with me to compare the two models. Needless to say, I'm still saving for the Ones.

Please keep the reviews coming and thank you again!

Cheers,

T Cobe

I, too, considered the Twos during my initial research. But, after listening to both systems, I decided that if I was going to spend, as Tevye said, "A small fortune" on two speakers, I would spend it on the Ones. I think you are making the right choice.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Another Newbie, Another Weird Room - Triton ?'s