question-circle Another Newbie, Another Weird Room - Triton ?'s

• deklein3's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
deklein3 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
So, I am pretty much starting from scratch building a budget HT. My goal is of course best sound & value for the $. So far I have a Samsung UN65F8000 TV, a Marantz SR5009 receiver and OPPO BDP-105D player as the core. I know I am going backwards, speakers should be first, but it's a long story.

Am trying to find a front tower pair in the $2,000-ish range. Have listened to PSB, B&W, Definitive & Martin & Logan in that price range. But was really intrigued when I heard the Triton 7's. Just loved the presence and the sound depth (sorry, I have no vocabulary for any of this). The owner of the store where I listened to the 7's told the sales guy to have me listen to the Triton 3's, "just for fun". Fortunately / unfortunately, the sales guy hooked up the Triton 2's by mistake and I listened to them instead of the 3's. So I have actually heard the 7's and the 2's but not the 3's. Anyway, I totally fell in love with the 2's sound - in the store at least they were incredible.

I would say my primary interest is music, but the kids and I watch a lot of Netflix movies too, so I'd say the usage is 65% music / 35% movies. Music-wise, classic rock. Tons of CD's, lots of lossless files on a Mac Mini / NAS (for example, 600+ Grateful Dead soundboard shows collected back in the days before they were restricted) and I am threatening to get a turntable and get the old vinyl out.

A crude layout of the room is attached. I live in a small rented house (rented = can't do much to reconfigure it). Our one main room is the entrance, dining room, living room, fireplace, small office and media room. We have this one room that is not a kitchen, bathroom or small bedroom.

The biggest limitation is that there is only one wall with more than a few feet of clear space so that dictates where the TV is and that pretty much (at least the way I see it) drives everything else. The room is rectangular with an alcove and the layout dictates that viewing / listening position be across the width of the room rather than its length. Another limitation is that the TV sits on a 9 1/2 ft wall that is in-between two glass sliders (one is 80" and the other is 108" - lots of glass). On one short side there is the front door and a 100" wide by 60" tall window, across from that is a fireplace. The rear long wall contains an alcove, a closet door and an open staircase then an opening into the kitchen.

Now I know NOTHING about acoustics and such, but to my way of thinking this room is just plain awful. The floor is hardwood, the ceiling height is a uniform 94" high. I am totally open to moving the furniture anyway that makes sense ... being a single father of 2 teenage sons, the WAF factor is not applicable, so the sound can drive the decor.

My initial thinking was the Triton 2's or 3's: Would one be much better than the other in this room? I have 2 bookshelf speakers now, so have no clue as to the bass characteristics of the room. I was pretty much convinced to buy the 3's, but wonder if this room is too big for them.

Another big question: I love what I am reading about the 5's. So now I am wondering if I would be better off with passive speakers and investing in separate subs in the future? Just in general, I'd love to hear when you'd recommend the 5/7 over the 2/3 or what trade-offs customers should consider?

Lastly, for this room, thoughts on center and surrounds (I am going 5.1 or 5.0)? I like the idea of the SC X or SC XL. I have no idea what I'd do for the surrounds. I think I'd have to position "surrounds" to the far rear of the listening area, at least the way things are laid out now.

Again, the I know the last thing anyone needs is another clueless newbie asking the same questions that have been asked countless times before, but appreciate your indulgence and any feedback you might have.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hi Deklein3,
Welcome to the forum and let me assure you, you are in the right place and asking the right questions.
First of all, RESPECT, single father of 2 teenage sons, WOW!!!!
I am so happy you heard the Triton 2s, as they are exactly what I would recommend.
Those teenagers will love the sound, love the bass and the T2s will allow you to buy the center channel (I would recommend the SC XL, if / when you can get it) and then get some good surround speakers, and save up a while to get a sub later for movies.
You will not miss the sub that much (maybe not at all) with the Triton 2s.
Your diagram looks good, I would get the T2s and work with your system as and when you can and add to it when you can.
But for now you will have GREAT sound!!!!!
I hope this helps, building a system should be incredibly fun, enjoy the music and challenge, happy listening, and please let us know what you decide and how it sounds.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, T Cobe, deklein3

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Also consider the new Triton Fives - just coming out this Spring. The Fives are passive, like the Sevens, but incorporate some of the latest design features present in the Triton Ones. Price for a pair of Fives is $2000.00.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, deklein3

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
A pair of SuperSats on stands or wall mounted in the rear corners will work fine in that space. Some here prefer the Aons as surrounds, if those would fit for your application. SuperCenter is perfect for any of the combinations, SuperSat center an option if using Triton Twos or Threes for front main.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, deklein3

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
deklein3,

You have so many options with GoldenEar that it is truly hard to go wrong. Everyone's advice has been good. I think the first thing you need to do is evaluate your budget and if it is $2k, you could go with Triton 5s when they are available. For just a few hundred more, you can have a pair of Triton 7s and a SuperCenter. In lieu of the Triton towers, one could make a case for a pair of Aon 2s and a few ForceField 3, 4, or 5s. All of these options would sound great.

IMHO, if the budget allows, I'd save up for the Triton 2s as Wayne has recommended. Ultimately you have to decide what is best for you and your boys. Good luck and please keep us posted on your selection and results. Good luck and happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, deklein3

• deklein3's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 11
deklein3 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The Triton 2's were what I was leaning towards anyway, and I might have to wait a little longer, but could afford them.

Just out of curiosity, taking money and a particular room out of the equation, when would one recommend a passive, e.g., Triton 5 over the 1, 2 or 3? Is it music / 2.0 versus movie 5 or 7 .1 or .2 question or is it more of a preference thing? For example the Triton 2's cost about what the Triton 5's plus a good sub would cost, so what are the pro's and con's?

Given the Goldenear heritage and product line, I assume in these parts there'd be a preference for the first solution, but I'm just curious as to why one approach versus the other. Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Another Newbie, Another Weird Room - Triton ?'s