file New HT

• rpgmasta's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rpgmasta Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hello, I have recently embarked on upgrading my 5.1 set-up. I have already auditioned the Triton 7s at my local dealer, and they are phenomenal and mind blowing. They honestly made me giddy listening to my test material (CDs of Rush - Signals and The Eagles - Hotel California). I genuinely want to hear all of my music on these. My only problem with them is they eat up a large part of my allotted budget.

Last week I picked up a pair of DefTech Studio Monitor 55s to audition in my home. I don't want to bash them, since I'm not sure if Mr. Gross also designed those, they don't really give me a sense of amazement like the Tritons did. They are very good speakers, but I'm left wanting for more immersion and presence. I have noticed that they opened up quite a bit with "conditioning", but still not filling the gap.

on to what I currently have:
1400 cu. ft. room
Onkyo 818
Marantz 7705 (140Wx5 channel amp)
SVS SB12-NSD sub

I would consider the Aons, and will listen to them at my dealer to see if they come close to the Tritons. I assume it will be an exact match in sound, but not as large of a sound stage.

So, my real question would be, which option would fit for a $2000 budget. I listen to music the majority of my time, with a few hours weekly dedicated to TV. Maybe 1-2 movies a week. I'd say 80% music, getting more into 5.1 music as well.
1. Triton 7 (pair)
SuperSat 3c
SuperSat 3s (pair)
(over budget a bit)

2. Aon 2 (pair)(or 3? I've seen moderator recommend the 2s to save the $200)
SuperCenter X (or SuperSat 50c?)
SuperSat 3s (pair)
(under budget a bit, if I have my MSRPs correct. Same price as option 1 if i go with the Aon 3)

in any configuration, I might have to wait on the SuperSat 3s. In option 1, I'd probably have to wait on the center as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hi Rpgmasta,
Not sure I can help, but that is what this forum is all about, we like to chime in and try.
There is no shame in having to save up to buy good things, like great speakers.
And there is no shame in having to do things a bit at a time, as you can.
The mistake I see most people make is to settle for less and always regret it. Great speakers like the GoldenEars are an investment for many years, if not life.
I would get the Triton 7s!!!! And save up for the Supercenter XL. Then add rear channels like the Supersats or Aons when you can.
You said you listen mainly to music. The Triton 7s are a JOY, a dream come true compared to MOST other speakers, and a LOT costing MUCH more money.
I have a pair of Triton 7s set up in my living room, just in a small two channel music system. A guest (of British decent, but born in Kenya, a retired pilot for Gulf Air) came over on Sunday and was commenting on how great my system looked. I asked if he wanted to hear some music? He did. He was floored with how great it sounded and was asking tons of questions, taking pictures!!!!
Get the best speakers you can get. Enjoy the music on them. Add what you can, when you can. Drop lots of hints for Christmas.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rpgmasta

• rpgmasta's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
rpgmasta Posted 9 years 11 months ago
Thanks so much, Wayne. I agree, I do not want to purchase something just to fill in while I save to get what I really want. Just puts you farther away from the goal!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I agree with Wayne on the T7's as your main front L/R speaker...from what I'm hearing, they sound amazing when used in a music only or HT setup. As for the center channel, I'd go with the SuperCenter X, it's designed more for the T7's and Aon's which lack a powered sub. For the surrounds, the SS3's make complete sense, and would serve you well for both movies and music.

Remember, this is a hobby, a little at a time...you'll eventually get there...I'm still in the process.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rpgmasta

• warr's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 22
warr Posted 9 years 11 months ago
I started with the 7's and was thrilled! They are excellent for music and you will have no problems watching movies with them as your only set of speakers until you are able to add on to your system. I now have the 1's, 7's, and the XL for the center and I will be adding on in the future so I am not done! If it takes time to save - its worth it. Using four 7's and an XL with a sub would be excellent as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rpgmasta

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back