file Atmos behind and above?

• cgott42's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cgott42 Posted 7 months 1 day ago
Last edit: 7 months 1 day ago by cgott42. info_outline
Due to room constraints. It's relatively easy for me to put Atmos speakers in the ceiling behind the main listening position (MLP) (approx 3 feet behind and 2-3 feet to the sides) and another pair directly above it the MLP. And much harder to put it in front of the MLP
Will it make a major difference in my Atmos effect experienced? or do I need it in front?
Also note that my ceiling is only a little taller than 6' high. However I sit on the ground while watching :-) so the vertical distance from my ears to the ceiling is about 4'
I assume that the HTR7000's should toe in/point directly at the MLP or forward - is that correct.
what do you suggest:

Goldenear Invisa HTR7000 ceiling behind, has the speaker pointing at listener)
+ Goldenear Invisa 600 (standard ceiling speaker) directly above?

w/Triton 2s, SuperCenter Reference + Aon 3's as surrounds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 months 18 hours ago
Hi cgott42, Even though the proposed Atmos speaker placement you've described isn't ideal, you'll still hear a convincing Atmos effect from this setup. When setting up the Invisa HTR7000s as your rear Atmos speakers, placing them 3 feet behind (and 2-3 feet from each side of the listening position) would work very well. When placed in this location, I would recommend aiming or directing the Invisa HTR7000s directly toward the main listening position. Next, if you're able to place the Invisa 600s just to the left and right of your main listening position (and directly above your main listening position), this will still work well enough. In this case, I would pivot the tweeters toward the main listening position as well. This arrangement would still be quite acceptable. Happy Listening!

cgott42 Posted 7 months 17 hours ago
Last edit: 7 months 17 hours ago by cgott42. info_outline
Thanks. And just so I know if I do manage to reconstruct the room - what is the ideal location for the HTR7000 in ceiling (height channel) and Invisa 600?
Similarly, if I can put them in the ideal in front ceiling and in back ceiling positions as mentioned - Should I put the HTR7000 in front and Invisa 600 in back or the reverse?

As noted the ceiling height is ~ 6.5' however the MLP is sitting on the floor - thus despite having the ceiling ~2 feet below a normal 8 foot ceiling. So I guess the distance/angle to the ears is roughly the same as a normal room?

Also, for the rear height channels - since the back wall is just 3 feet behind the MLP - are there benefits to using Invisa 600 in the ceiling over using supersat 3s in intersection of the rear wall and ceiling angled down to the MLP (other than aesthetics) ?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 7 months 17 hours ago
Hi cgott42, Since the Invisa HTR7000s play at a 30 degree angle from the ceiling, they work best when placed a bit further away from the listening position. The location you've mentioned for rear Atmos speakers would work very well when using the Invisa HTR7000s. Placing them 3 feet behind (and 2-3 feet to the sides of) the main listening position is ideal. When using a "downward firing" in-ceiling speaker - like the Invisa 600 as your front Atmos speakers, I'd recommend placing them a bit closer to the main listening position. Specifically, I'd recommend placing them 1-2 feet in front of (and 2-3 feet to the sides of) the main listening position. If you need to place the front Atmos speakers to your sides - and not in front of the main listening position, that would still be okay. Happy Listening!

cgott42 Posted 6 months 4 weeks ago
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by cgott42. info_outline
I'm thinking of putting height speakers on a shelf in the front and back walls? and in the middle heights from the ceiling. However I'm hesitant to break into my soundproof/containment ceiling. And (ignoring aesthetics) thinking of putting speakers directly overhead the MLP (attached to a soffit which overhangs the MLP by approx. 5") thus if I put a 2 SuperSat3 directly overhead (at proper angles) they'd be 5+" in front of the MLP. Would that work well?
Also - would Aon2's perform differently for that task?

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back