file Triton 2 distance from TV

• cgott42's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
cgott42 Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by cgott42. info_outline
Sandy recommends moving the Tritons as far apart as possible
www.goldenear.com/support/setup-tips#:~:...sound%20their%20best.
I have Triton 2 as fronts , Super XL for center and Aon3 for rear surrounds.
The room is approx. 22.5' across (side to side) and 12' front to back
The TV is in the middle 5'.
I was thinking of putting the Triton 2's each 6' from the TV and 1.5' from the side wall?
Is that too far from the TV or just right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline
Hello cgott42 . Welcome to the GE forum!

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but given your explanation, it isn't really possible to provide a meaningful answer to your question. This because it's isn't clear (to me anyway) whether or not your TV is in the middle 5 feet of the 22.5 foot wall, or the 12 foot wall. Irrespective of that, it is true that Sandy recommends setting the speakers as far apart as possible. However, that is a generality and there are circumstances where placing the speakers to far apart (or to close together) is detrimental. As to your question about the distance (left/right) from your television, I think that is less important than the distance from the front of your television. If possible, you want the plane of the speaker drivers to be at least 12 inches in front of the screen. Essentially, the best situation is to have nothing between the speakers, which few people have the luxury of doing. I'm sure some other folks here on the forum, moderator included, will chime in with their advice as well.

EDIT: Upon reading your post again, it seems as though you are wanting to set the TV along the 22.5 foot wall. I glean that by your indicating that you intend to place the T2s 6 feet from the TV (I assume 6 feet on both sides). So in this case, I would bring the speakers closer to the television and further from the side wall. Something like 3 feet from the side wall instead of 1.5.
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Hi cgott42, When setting up the Triton Two towers, I would recommend spreading them apart fairly wide. Specifically, I would recommend placing them in an equilateral triangle - or a bit wider - with your main seating position. Specifically, if your main listening position is 10 feet away from your speakers, I would recommend placing them 10 -11 feet apart from each other. This presumes when placing them 10 -11 feet apart, this would not place them in the corners of your listening room. Ideally, I would place the towers at least 12-18 inches away from the side walls of your listening and a bit closer to your listening position than your television. (This way, the sound they produce would not reflect off of the television.) Happy Listening!

Thanks - however the room although wide (side to side) is narrow front to back.
The Main Listening Position (MLP) is approx. 8 from the center speaker.
Using the equilateral triangle math. That makes the distance from the MLP to each of the L/R fronts 9.2'

(a) equilateral - close to MLP - i.e. the L/R fronts would be just 4.6' from the center speaker , 9.2' from each other and approx 5.5' from each side wall and 9.2 from the MLP
Or (b) furthest apart while 2.5' away from side and also furthest from the MLP - is it better to have the L/R fronts 7.6' from the center, and 15.2' from each other, and approx. 2.5' from the side walls and 11' from the MLP
Or (c) the average of the 2 - to have the L/R fronts 6' from the center, and 12' from each other, and approx. 5.1' from the side walls and 10' from the MLP
or (d) what you mentioned - to have the L/R fronts 5.5' from the center, and 11' from each other, and approx. 4.6' from the side walls and 9.7' from the MLP

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 2 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by GDHAL. info_outline
My personal opinion is you should do some experimentation and try it in different configurations and settle upon what sounds best to you.

I'll further provide my opinion in that moving the speakers further from the side walls and closer together is going to sound better than if they're only a foot or so from the sidewalls in a 22 ft width room.

You referred to Sandy's setup tips in your first post. Note one of the things that he mentions which is that the primary listening position is technically in front of where the axis of the speakers meet which would be behind your head by a few inches. So one never really achieves an equilateral triangle. It's almost an equilateral triangle, but it works out to be an isosceles triangle.

Based on your room dimensions and the wall you're wanting to use as your front wall - besides the experimentation that I'm recommending that you do - I also believe that if you have the luxury of moving the speakers further away from the sidewalls and closer together, it's going to sound better. Having the speakers one or two feet off of the sidewall in a 22 ft dimension is just too far apart in my opinion (where the rest of the room is only 10 ft or so deep).
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html

OK, thanks for your help!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back