question-circle 5.1.4 - SuperCinema XXL with 2 HTR7000 rears. Where do I connect the rears?

• gauldin's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
gauldin Posted 4 years 6 months ago
I have a setup with a SuperCinemaXXL for LCR, 4 inexpensive atmos speakers in the center, and 2 HTR7000s in the rear for RSL RSR.

Am I correct in thinking I hook up the HTRs to the AVR in the rear surround, and not hook up anything to R/L surround? Will this work?

Here is a crude layout of the room:

----SuperCinema----
---- ATMOS 1,2----
---- ATMOS 3,4----
--HTR7k----HTR7k--

Hoping this works, and works well!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 6 months ago
Hi, Gauldin

Since you will be driving one pair of surrounds, not two, I would recommend using the surround outs, not the rear surround outs, which are normally for a second pair of surrounds in a 7.1 set up, and yours is more like a 5.1 plus Atmos heights.

I drive my one pair of surrounds from the surround channels, even though they are positioned more like rear surrounds, because that's the only place I could position them in my room set up. The rear surround channels normally carry sound mixed for the second pair of surrounds plus up mixed 5.1 to 7.1.

Just my thoughts.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• gauldin's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
gauldin Posted 4 years 6 months ago
Thank you RJohn for the thorough explanation! That makes things clear. I have been looking at 7 and 9 channel AVRs. I guess a 5 channel would be suitable, if I can find one to support 4 atmos. Which receiver do you have?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I have a Marantz SR 7010, which is 11 channels.

You would need 9 channels to support a 5.1.4 set up, 5 channels for fronts, center and surrounds, and 4 for the four height channels. I use 9 channels for my 5.4.4 Atmos speaker set up, and 2 channels for a separate Zone 2 music set up in another room. There are plenty of 9 channel receivers available that would support 5.1.4 set ups. Just be sure you choose one that is capable of supporting Atmos speaker set ups, preferably with both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X firmware

Re surround channels, since I couldn't place my surrounds in the usual side surround position, I placed them near the rear corners, further back than side surrounds would normally be, and further outboard than rear surrounds would normally be, so that they are outboard of the listening positions, more like side surrounds would be positioned. Works just fine.

Have fun with your project!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions 5.1.4 - SuperCinema XXL with 2 HTR7000 rears. Where do I connect the rears?