file Triton Ones - LFE input

• rogersengland@comcast.net's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rogersengland@comcast.net Posted 9 years 3 months ago
My Triton Ones with new XXL Super Center arriving Monday.

The school of thought appears to be shifting toward utilizing the LFE input on the Ones in most cases. Apparently the payoff is more than just bass.

I'm using Emo XMC-1 which has both a L and R Sub output, which I'm assuming each would both be utilized for the Ones.

Questions:
Can anyone opine on utilizing the LFE inputs on the Ones?
Any set-up tips?
Any thoughts on a NAD CD Player?

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Refer to Sandy's Set-up Tips, from our website: www.goldenear.com/support/setup-tips

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 3 months ago
rogersengland,

I absolutely recommend using the LFE inputs. The amount of bass is drastically different in my system with the LFE. I use 2.0 for music reproduction without any LFE and the bass is perfect for stereo listening. In theater mode, using the LFE inputs generates a tremendous amount of bass! I have my gain knobs set at about 13:00 and my receiver at -8 dB for LFE and I am still about 5 dB over reference. In both modes, the bass is extremely well balanced, musical, and impactful. With the proper settings, there truly is no NEED for additional sub support.

My receiver is set to full range for the T1s and the LFE at 100Hz. Speakers are 3 ft from rear wall and approximately 18 inches from the side walls. I have them toed in towards the primary listening position.

Congrats on the purchase, BTW! Sounds like you're going to have an amazing setup! Wayne and a few others may be able to offer some tips on the XMC-1. Don't be afraid to ask more questions as you go. This is a very helpful and non-confrontational forum. People here generally want to help you with your questions. Happy listening. You are in for som exciting times!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, fopmc, aribraun

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Congrats on the purchase.

General consensus is to play with the setup, distances from the walls, and adjust toe-in. I would try both the LFE connections as well and just stereo, see what you like.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi Rogersengland,
Welcome here and let me add my congratulations for making such a great decision on speakers!!! And processor, I too have the XMC-1.
Everyone has already answered you very well, there is not much I can add, all the above comments are very good ones.
Do you intend your system mostly for 2 channel (poor old stereo) music, or for surround sound (my passion) or for movies (my pastime)?
I have the XMC-1 running LFE to my Triton 2s in the front, my T3s in surround and to a FF5 sub in the back of the room (my T7s in the rear don't get it, ha ha). This is mostly to get lots of bass, but balanced, I did not want it to be localized in any way, and I wanted to smooth out the response in the room. DIRAC has handled that well. But I am still working on it.
The thing I have been trying to avoid is doubling up on the bass, so no enhanced bass!!!
One thing I really like on the XMC-1 is that you can get a smooth response in the room for music, but perhaps during a movie, you might find the bass is not quite all you want, so you can just use the remote to increase the bass trim (sub trim) and there you are, perfect for that situation, that movie. Next time you turn on the unit, that setting is gone, back to normal.
I hope this helps, but please ask any more questions here if you need to, and I HOPE you will share you experiences with us, I will look forward to hearing how you are getting on?
Happy listening, it is fun after all,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, aribraun

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: clarify settings data info_outline
Hi Rogers England,

I concur with T. Cobe's first response. I have a pair of Triton Ones, driven by an Onkyo NR 3009 AV Receiver. The Onkyo is a 9.2 channel receiver (two sub-woofer pre outs). I have the sub pre-outs connected to my Triton Ones L/R LFE inputs. I listen to music in the Onkyo Pure Direct Mode with the Direct Subwoofer option turned On (which provides low frequency signals via the sub pre outs to the Triton Ones. Otherwise, in the Pure Direct Mode, only 2-channel stereo signals are sent to the Triton Speaker inputs - no other signal processing is taking place in the Onkyo.

Currently, I have my sub level setting in the Onkyo at zero and the Triton One Level controls at 3 (third dot, approximately 1/4 turn up from Minimum). I have the Front Speaker setting to Full Band and the sub LFE HP cutoff at 100 Hz.

I have run extensive tests with and without the sub pre outs connected. I agree with T. Cobe - there is significantly more "analog bass" present when listening to music with the sub pre outs connected and with my Direct Subwoofer setting turned on. Bass is also sufficient when watching movies with LFE content coming down the sub cables.

I have read Sandy's setup comments, but for me, using the setup I have provides a much more satisfying result. With your equipment, it appears that you have multiple options as well. I encourage you to try them out and see what you like. One thing I do recommend is to not use such features as "Double Bass" or "LFE+Main".

T. Cobe: I have a question for you: Do you think there is a difference between lowering the sub level output in your receiver and boosting the Triton sub level control, versus lowering the Triton sub level control and raising the sub level output in your receiver? If so, please describe what you believe to be the advantage of a lower amp/higher Triton setting combo.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, aribraun

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back