file Armstrong Woodhaven on their easy track system

• Drewcwsj's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Drewcwsj Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Drewcwsj. info_outline
How do I install HTR7000 and Invisa 650 in my Armstrong Woodhaven ceiling Woodhaven is MDF planks hung on aluminum track. The track will be screwed to our existing drywall ceiling with about a 3/4' gap to the planks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Hi Drewcwsj, I'm sorry; I do not have any good solutions in this instance, but I thought it was worthwhile looking at some of the possibilities. Two possible solutions come to mind.

First, you could cut the correct round cutout in both the drywall ceiling surface as well as the Armstrong Woodhaven panels. (This would be a 9" circle for the Invisa HTR7000s and a 7.1" circle for the Invisa 650s.) You could then suspend the speakers from the drywall ceiling surface, and the speaker's front baffle would seal against the face of the Armstrong Woodhaven panels. In theory, this would work....However, the mounting screws and locking arms/mounting posts used with these in-ceiling speakers only allow them to attach to a surface that's 1 1/8" thick (or thinner). (The total thickness of the drywall and Armstrong Woodhaven panels - along with the gap between these two surfaces would be more than 1 1/8" thick.)

Next, you could cut a reasonably large hole in the drywall surface (say 11" round or so)....Then you could cut the exact cutout for these speakers in the Armstrong Woodhaven panels, and mount/suspend the speakers from the Armstrong Woodhaven panels. In theory, this would work as well, however, Armstrong does not recommend suspending anything directly from the the Woodhaven panels. With this in mind, I do not have a good solution with how to mount the Invisa in-ceiling speakers into a ceiling with Armstrong Woodhaven panels suspended from a drywall surface. If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to reach out to the GoldenEar Customer Service Department - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 1-949-800-1805 M-F 9-5:30 Eastern Time.

Drewcwsj Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Thanks for the ideas. I came up with a third idea that I will try.

- Cut a ~ 14.5" square piece of drywall or 1/2 inch plywood to fill the bay between the tracks. This piece will spread out the weight of the speaker back to the tracks and the clips holding the planks.
- Cut an 11' hole in the ceiling
- Cut 9" holes in the woodhaven and in the drywall/plywood
- The drywall sits on top of the 3/8" woodhaven so there will be 7/8" for the speaker to clamp to

Will send pics

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 1 year 9 months ago
Hi Drewcwsj, Sounds like a great idea. Please upload a few pictures of the installation. Happy Listening!

Drewcwsj Posted 1 year 8 months ago
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Drewcwsj. info_outline
I used 24" X 15" 7/16 OSB screwed to the floor joists between the tracks to hang the speakers.

Ps how do I rotate the photo?
Attachments:

Drewcwsj Posted 1 year 8 months ago
Almost finished.
Attachments:

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Armstrong Woodhaven on their easy track system