question-circle Invisa System for open floorplan

• ditty's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ditty Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by ditty. info_outline
We're having a new house built and I'm looking for suggestions on the best Goldenear System for our family room. Ideally I'd like a 5.1 surround system with all of the speakers (with the exception of the subwoofer) in-wall or in-ceiling. Pretty much anything except the SPS would be in budget. We would be using this for both movie/tv watching and music. While the MLP would be a couch in the family room, ideally someone in the breakfast nook or kitchen could also reasonably hear. I had originally thought HTR 7000s for the R/L/C would be a good choice, but it seems like the angle would not be best choice for listening in the rooms farther away from the MLP. The HTR 7000s still seem like the right choice for surrounds (only care about surround in the MLP). Seems like MPXs could make for good R and L, but doesn't orient well for C. Would in-wall 650s be a good choice for R/L/C? Should I consider the 3D Array XL instead? What would your recommendations be for the best family-friendly R/L/C given the layout and listening preferences?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 4 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi ditty and welcome!

Good choice in speaker brands!!!!

Moderator has the most experience with all these speakers and their varied uses.

But here's my input based on owning and/or listening to the speakers you reference. I have Invisa ceiling speakers in the kitchen on zone 2, music only (a pair of 525's) and as four height speakers (2 525's and 2 7000's) in the HT area adjacent in a T shaped great room, in the nine channel HT set up. Whether playing music or using the HT, the sound is well distributed. IMO ceiling speakers, including 7000's , can distribute sound throughout a room.

If you have the distances to present fronts, center and surrounds via 7000's at ear level at the MLP, I think you'd be very happy with 7000's for both, and with the sound distribution around the room. 7000's are truly refined, and the 7" mid/bass drivers can deliver a level of bass response that is amazing. And with all 7000’s in multi channel music plus a sub, the sound in the adjoining kitchen should be great also.

Just my opinion. Moderator can surely add perspective and options.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 4 years 1 month ago
Ditty,

Congratulations on the new home!
Assuming the TV is being mounted over the fireplace perpendicular to the Kitchen you indeed have a few options. First question, assuming the sheetrock isn’t up yet, is have you considered Dolby Atmos and DTS-X? If you are not familiar, it is worth looking into before the sheetrock goes up, even if you are not able to pull the trigger now or aren't sure, I would recommend wiring for it before the sheetrock goes up. If you decide later to make the move the wire in already available and in place.

HTR-7000’s in the rear would work nicely, looking at the diagram you might also consider MPX as surrounds on the partial walls as you enter the kitchen. MPX is a diffuse speaker that works very well as side and rear surrounds and if this location works, would allow you to get them out of the ceiling and closer to the listening height.

Couple of thoughts on the front channel options. Assuming 9’ ceilings in the family room, and a couch that is probably going to be 12’ from the fireplace wall, you could do 7000’s and I think you would be thrilled. If in-wall L/C/R is an option you can make work, I would recommend that route over in-ceiling, especially if at some point Atmos/DTS-X becomes an option. Yes, 650’s will work great as an L/C/R. square grilles are not included in the box, but we do have them available as an option. Something else you might consider would be SuperSat-60’s, although this option is getting close to the expense of the SPS and might bust the budget. Either option will be plenty for kitchen listening at reasonable levels.

With the open floorplan of the kitchen and family room you have quite a bit of cubic volume to fill. I would do either a single, or dual (L&R) SuperSub-X.

Hope this helps, feel free to call if you would like to discuss in greater detail.

• ditty's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
ditty Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Thank you both! I think I decided to go ahead with a 5.1, saving a more elaborate Atmos setup for the basement. I'm leaning towards the setup depicted below - with a SuperCinema 3D Array for LCR, HTR 7000s for surround, and Supersub X. A couple questions

1) the 3D Array XL is just a tad wider (~5") than new 65" TVs. Would it look odd to have a soundbar that is wider than the TV? Would the X be a better call aesthetically? I don't want to go larger on the TV for this room
2) Would the proposed approximate positioning for the HTR7000s make sense, or is there a better location you would suggest?

Thanks again!
Attachments:

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi ditty

Hope some others chime in here with their experiences also...

I have HTR 7000's as top front heights, and Invisa 525's as top rear heights. The 7000's seem to benefit from a more outboard position than the the 525's. In my set up, the 7000's are about 4' outboard of the listening position, and hence about 8' apart. That seems to be a good distance for the angled tweeters to be aimed directly at ear level at the listening position with 9' ceilings.

Since you are going with 5.1, no Atmos, and using them as surrounds, the outboard positions you are proposing seem pretty reasonable, and distance from listening position isn't as critical in a 5.1 setup as it would be in an Atmos setup.

You may have to adjust positioning some for structural obstructions like beams, HVAC ducts etc, but the 7000's do a really good job of providing excellent sound dispersion within a range of position options.

Good luck with your project!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Hi ditty,

First, the proposed location for your HTR7000 surrounds should work quite well with providing a convincing surround effect. Next, the SuperCinema 3D Array X or XL would work very well with providing a spacious and natural front sound stage for your home theater system. It's your call whether the aesthetics of a larger sound bar or smaller sound bar would be more appealing. If the sound bar is located very close to the television, I presume a smaller sound bar would look better. If the sound bar would be a few inches away from the television, the larger sound bar should look fine.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Invisa System for open floorplan