• arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Ron Moulton Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Ron Moulton. info_outline
Current 5.1.2 setup:
L/R = SuperSat 50
C = SuperSat 60c
SL/SR = Invisa 525
Atmos L/R = Invisa 525

Wanted to get anyone's thoughts. My room is only 13x11x8. My sectional sofa is nestled against the rear and side walls. The problem is the side surrounds. They are at ear level on the side walls tucked as far to the rear as possible. I initially put them at ear level rather than above the listener to be distinct from the Atmos. Problem is they are simply too close to the listener, especially anywhere other than the middle listening position. It is definitely not an encompassing soundfield. One adjustment I've made is to reduce the surround speaker levels and increase the Atmos levels. On non-Atmos movies, the surround signal, shared with the Atmos speakers, sounds a bit better.

I don't want to throw money at the problem, but I would like to improve the surrounds, given the obvious constraints of this room. I could:

1. move them up a couple feet. Obviously this would require drywall work and repainting. Atmos vs surround separation would suffer a bit.

2. replace the 525's with MPX's. I've never heard the MPX's so not sure how well they will diffuse the sound. These are double the price of the 525's. I'd probably try to pick up a pair used if possible. Can't justify spending as much on surrounds as my fronts.

3. get a different pair of bipole [ish] speakers. Klipsch and DefTech have options. More likely to find used or open box from big names like these.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi and welcome. In answer to your question, the MPX is a wide dispersion in-wall but I do not believe it will significantly change the situation you describe - too close is too close. That said, this should be something you can moderate by adjusting the levels on the surrounds so they are no louder than any other channel at the center listening seat. Also, angle the tweeter so it points toward the back wall instead of at the listening area. I would not suggest moving it higher, ear level is correct in your Atmos setup.

Lastly, dipole speakers will not create the soundfield properly, that is an outdated technology designed to improved the sound of the old Dolby Prologic Surround ... circa 1995 ... not correct for today's discreet, immersive formats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Ron Moulton

• Ron Moulton's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Ron Moulton Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Thank you for the advice. Good to know that spending more money, time and effort isn't going to make a positive impact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Invisa MPX or other surround options