file HTR7000's for Dolby Atmos Height Channels

• TectoneGuy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
TectoneGuy Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hi there - I'm trying to understand why the HTR7000's are recommended for Dolby Atmos Height channels when they are deliberately designed to "project" the sound so it doesn't feel like it's coming from above but feels like it's coming from ear height?

Does the Av processor compensate for this is some way during setup?

Or does placing the HTR7000's as height channels nearer and wider to the listening position (as recommended in a 5.1.2 setup) also reduce the ear-level projection effect?

I'm trying to pick the best arrangement for an all in-ceiling 5.1.2 Atmos setup, current thinking is 3 x HTR7000's for L, C, and R, 2 x HTR7000's for Atmos height infront and wide of the listening position and then 2 x MPX's mounted in-ceiling wide and behind the listening position for surrounds. All bottomed off with a ForceField 4, or 5 if I can make it fit!

Should I just fit HTR7000's all round and ditch the MPX's at the rear, or should I switch the MPX's into the Atmos position and put the HTR's at the back for surrounds? There's NO scope to have anything at ear height.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Tectoneguy

Welcome, and good questions!

Moderator Dude would have far more experience setting up ATMOS systems, but here are my thoughts based in part on what experimenting and auditioning I've done.

Re surrounds for an ATMOS set-up, the DOLBY recommendation is for only the height channels to be mounted in the ceiling, and all others at ear height. Hence the GEt recommendation to use HTR 7000's for front, center, surrounds if using an all ceiling combination, because at the right distance the 7000's can sound as though they are ear height. So, I'd suggest that 7000's would be the appropriate speakers as ceiling surrounds.

I had a similar concern about how to use/mount 7000's as height channel speakers. Having auditioned the 7000's, at the closer proximity to the listening position that height channel speakers have, they provide the same sound field effect as the Invisa 525's I compared them to. It seem it's a lot about proximity. I had the same sense of immersion with either of the Invisa's, and no sense that the 7000's in the height positions would "move" the sound to appear to be ear level rather than height. (Depending on your timetable for making a decision, I will have HTR 7000's as height channels in the next ten days or so, and will be reporting on how they sound. I am expecting that they'll sound great and provide a perfect sound field, as they did when I auditioned them.)

Of the options you are considering, all HTR 7000's makes some sense to me, with the closer in height 7000's performing well as height speakers. A FF sub would go great with those ceiling speakers.

Moderator Dude, please feel free to comment/amend. We're all learning about this new thing called ATMOS and proper use of height speakers.

Good luck, and happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, TectoneGuy

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Hi gang,

This has been discussed at length in other Atmos threads on this forum and on the Atmos systems page on our website. To summarize, this is all about geometry and dimensions, nothing to do with the processor. The HTR 7000, when properly located, can be used as main L/C/R and Surround channels to present the sound as if it is coming from in front of (or behind) you, rather than from above. This requires a distance of about 12-20 feet away from the listeners, for typical ceiling heights.

The HTR 7000 also turns out to be perfect for height channels when the ceiling height is under 10'. For this they are located much closer to the listener, resulting in a height presentation without the narrow hot-spots that a standard in-ceiling speaker would create in a low-ceiling installation (remember, height channels at the movie theater are typically 20 feet or more over your head).

• TectoneGuy's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
TectoneGuy Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Thank you very much for your answer - it's exactly what I wanted to know! The key to it for me is the distances, so thank you for that, I can lay out as required.

• Steve Blentlinger's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 14
Steve Blentlinger Posted 7 years 11 months ago
Great post!
Let me know how this turns out and sounds. Very interested in a diagram of the geometry you have as final setup. Sounds very similar to my main family room upstairs which is my next project area and has to stay all in ceiling for WAF and existing wiring. I may do the supercenter X with MPX LR and 7000 for rears and Heights or 650s depending on how it HT in the basement sounds. Hoping for 2017 release of an upgraded in wall speakers too!
Marantz SR7010 running 5.1.4 w/ 2 zones
SuperCenter XL
(2) SuperSat 50
(6) Invisa 650 Heights & Rears
ForceField 5 sub
75” Sony XBR75X850D
Control4 EA1 w/ Amazon Echo Dot
Zone 2:
(2) 48" Sony kdl48w650d
(2) pair ES-300-IC-6 Episode
ZoneMaster Model 250
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series HTR7000's for Dolby Atmos Height Channels