file Using a single ended amplifier with Trition Reference

• Wayne1985's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Wayne1985 Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Was thinking about buying a 9w per channel single ended amplifier and was wondering if others have run their Reference speakers with a single ended amp and how it worked for them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi Wayne 1985, and welcome here!!!!
Do you have Triton References? They are supposed to be AWESOME!!!!!!
Great choice!!!!
I am not aware of any 9 channel amplifiers that are really of the same quality as the TRefs. But there could be. And I am not quite sure what you mean by single ended?
I know SET triode tube amps and they would be a wonderful way to go with the TRefs, but perhaps on the low side on power.
Could be done though.
And I know single ended RCA connections for interconnects, which most amps would have between them and the pre amp or processor. That is fine.
Perhaps if you would give us a little more information and some info about how you plan to use your system? Is this for music mostly or for movies, ATMOS surround sound?
Whatever, you are well on your way by choosing the TRefs, they will sound marvelous with just about any amp, but even better with good amps.
Welcome, and tell us more if you wish,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
A single-ended triode (SET) is a vacuum tube electronic amplifier that uses a single triode to produce an output, in contrast to a push-pull amplifier which uses a pair of devices with antiphase inputs to generate an output with the wanted signals added and the distortion components subtracted.

I'm using an Decware Zen Torii mk4 25 watts push-pull design amp that has characteristics of an SET Amp, with the T Refs. It can achieve very good dynamics, but on large scale Classical/Rock music a Solid State amp with higher wattage is preferable. For this purpose I use Emotiva xpa-1's mono's (500 watts)

A 9 watt SET Amp should produce an "OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCE"...
I think it would be most excellent for jazz, acoustic guitar, etc.,genres of music. If looking for Rock Concert Dynamics or Large Scale Classical, you'll need to jump up in wattage.

Wayne1985: what amp are you interested in?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• Wayne1985's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
Wayne1985 Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Thanks for the information. Was interested in building the Elekit Tu-8600 SET Amp and was wondering how it would sound with the Trition Reference speakers which I just bought and are awesome. I currently run a Prima Luna Integrated HP Amp with them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by WayneWilmeth. info_outline
Just what Bro Anthem said^^^^^^^

I am sorry Wayne (GREAT name BTW) to misunderstand, to have misread your post.
Somehow my old brain read that as a 9 channel amp and that spelled low quality multichannel to me.
Now I see the 9 watts per channel and understand (after I searched it) we are talking about what is probably a beautiful sounding 300B tube amp.
COOL COOL COOL
RESPECT if you can build it, I wish I could hear how it sounds with the TRefs.
I hope it will work well, sound great.
BUT, just my un-educated guess here, because I have never heard the TRefs at all, let alone with a very low powered amp, my GUESS would be just the same as Anthem said, it would sound sweet with guitar, female vocals, chamber music, but not have enough power and muscle for Rock n Roll, full on orchestral music. I know my TOnes love power. Yes, they are efficient and can play with much less power, but I feed mine with tube hybrid amps with 20W Class A into 8 ohms, 200W into 8 ohms and 320W into 4 ohms, so somewhere around 280W or so with my TOnes.
It would be a great experiment building it and running the TRefs with an SET amp, I really hope you do and report back.
But, depending on the type of music you like, my opinion (I know, everybody has got one) would be that is not enough power.
Hope this helps, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, HTSME

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 5 years 11 months ago
I have the T Refs and power them with a Mac amp and preamp. My friend just got the latest First Watt amp at 25wpc and it sounded truly special in my system. Any type of Jazz sounded quite thrilling, but on Rock, not so great.
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Using a single ended amplifier with Trition Reference