file Triton 1s w/ Mcintosh MC8702 vs MC452 in HT setup

• roger1's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
roger1 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Im looking at getting a new HT setup and would be using the Triton 1 and a Super Center XXL for the L/C/R and I would be buying new amplification for these.

Im planning on the Mcintosh MC8702 (200w x 7) , to power all of the speakers. Or using the MC8702 for the C and surrounds and then use a MC452 (450w x 2) to power the 1s.

My GE dealer is also a Mcintosh dealer and he suggested feeding the 1s with the extra power that the MC452 has to offer, which sort of makes sense. I demoed the 1s running off a MC452 and they sounded amazing, unfortunately they didn't have the MC8702 to compare how they would sound with the lower power. However I'm wondering if the MC452 might be overkill considering it would essentially only be powering the mid and high sections of the speakers. I know theres many that say theres no such thing as too much power, but no need in having excess power that doesn't really get used. Of course theres also the issue of spending the extra money buying 2 amps vs only buying 1.

Id really appreciate any input, especially on how Tritons sound paired with Mcintosh amps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago
I think there would be little to gain from the extra L/R power in that setup and the money could possibly offer more improvement elsewhere.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Roger1,

I've auditioned the T1s and T2s with McIntosh many times. My local dealer uses this combination in their 2-channel setup. While McIntosh sounds very good and will last a very long time due to their outstanding build quality, there are probably better solutions out there for value. Parasound, NAD, Rotel, and Anthem are a few that come to mind. They all sound very good and also have great build quality. Just my personal opinion, but I feel McIntosh is a bit overpriced.

In that range, I'd be more apt to look into Krell, Bryston, or Hegel. Honestly, I'll admit I'm splitting hairs here and McIntosh will sound very good if you're sold on the brand. I do like their retro look and analog gauges if so equipped and they will last a LONG time! Let us know what you decide and how it sounds. Pictures are always appreciated as well. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
I believe it has to do with how loud you like to listen. At the volumes that I listen, I would probably want the 450x2 setup. But I listen quite loudly with dynamic SPL well into the 105-110dB arena (not often).

You want your average SPL and volume for wattage to be a given amount - call it 1 watt, which is over 92dB for the T1s. If you want 20dB of dynamic range, you'll need 100 watts for those peaks (up to 112dB). Going from 100 watts to 200 watts only gives you 3dB more SPL (115dB). Going from 200 to 450 watts is "only" getting you another 2.2dB more SPL (117.2). You'd have to do 1000 watts per channel to get to 120+dB.

Does the Mcintosh MC8702 have the ability to put out more power in just 2-channel mode? There are some amps that can do that (Emotiva XPA-7 for example is a 200x7 but can do over 500x2).
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Eric Tichi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 76
Eric Tichi Posted 8 years 6 months ago
I agree with T, Mcintosh is a great amp but a little on the pricey side. If you want a dedicated 2 channel (which I think is the 'right' thing to do) look at Parasounds A21. Great amp, big power supply, 100k caps, 250 8 ohm then 400 at 4 ohm. Its a pig.
Play it loud.

Emotiva UMC-200
Parasound A21
Parasound A23
Triton 5 L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Dayton 18 sealed (DIY)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 1s w/ Mcintosh MC8702 vs MC452 in HT setup