file Triton Longevity

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks for chiming in Wayne, maybe some others can reassure Richie too. :)

If you wouldn't mind, please tell me the name/location of the servicing dealer (PM if you wish) so I can perhaps have someone intercede, find out what's been done, and do whatever is necessary to make sure we get this resolved in one shot. If the tweeter looks fine it surely is fine (simple impedance check, or even just a battery "click" test, will confirm), and we are either dealing with a loose wire, or a crossover failure (a part or a solder joint). It would be best for the servicing dealer to have a crossover for your speaker in hand with the (probably unneeded) tweeter so the repair can be accomplished first time no matter what.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
murphy2112 Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Sounds like bad luck. I bought my Triton Two's used, they are about 3 years old, and I've only had them for a few months. BUT, I have played them for maybe 50 hours total, mostly movies and TV, at 70-85Db. But when I've played music, I've really cranked them up to see how loud they can go. I have seen 103 Db at 9' away on the couch. I have an older 1984 Yamaha M-80 power amplifier that can do 250wx2 into 8 Ohms with .003 Thd. The subwoofer level on the back of the Triton Twos is 1 o'clock. I've played them loud enough to see the Yamaha peak at 900w, and I suspect RMS was somewhere around 100w per channel. Yes, that's extremely loud, I know, but the Triton's haven't had an issue yet. All drivers sound great.

• Richie's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
Richie Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Thanks for all the positive thoughts. Just as an update my dealer has ordered both the crossover and tweeter - just in case. Also, just to make sure I'm not crazy, I ran a tone test on the two speakers - right channel absolutely clear right up to 20 khz, where only dogs can hear, and left channel no sound at all over 6 khz. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Thanks for the update, that's a better plan. Hope it gets resolved for you quickly.

And I think we all figured you could hear the high frequencies were missing ... never questioned that part. All our GoldenEar owners are pretty darn good listeners. :)

• Richie's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
Richie Posted 9 years 4 months ago
Hi all, thought I'd close the loop on this. Turns out it was a bad tweeter. Seems crazy, I know, but my dealer installed a new one supplied by Golden Ear and it now works perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's advice and good wishes. I'm listening to sweet music again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, Splash51

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Longevity