file Triton Longevity

• Richie's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 10
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Richie Posted 9 years 5 months ago
First, I love my Triton 2's. Even my audiophile friends say best speakers they've heard at this price point. But I've had nothing but problems. Bought my pair in November '14 and since then a subwoofer amp went dead on one speaker and the tweeter died on the other. Anyone else having these issues? It is a major issue to bring these across town for repair each time a part fails. Bad luck or bad product?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
We are glad you like your speakers. In regard to your questions (and I'm sure many other will be happy to add their thoughts):

1) Failed Amp - Bad luck. Anything that plugs in the wall can fail. My car breaks once in a while too. As long as the service is quick and free, I have no complaints. I like driving my car.

2) Failed Tweeter - That's on you. If the tweeter failed, you damaged it, by either over-drive or under drive. We have had only a handful of failures (out of 10s of thousands now) and 100% were over drive (or amp failure) on a scale we could not imagine. Foot off the gas a bit and enjoy the ride. These are the most indestructible high performance speakers in the history of the business (a few electrostats excepted).

First, I've owned many speakers including Klipsch Heresys and Polk Audio Monitors. I never had to take any of these into the shop for repair and they ran flawlessly for years. (The Polk's died in their 25th year of service.) I agree that an amp failure could happen early on in break-in. Electronics are that way.

As for the tweeter, I'm not yet sure it's the actual driver that has failed. At this point all I know is that there is no sound coming from the tweeter in one of my Tritons. I've even physically swapped the Tritons and the tweeter issued followed - no sound. (Perhaps it's the crossover or internal connection?) The dealer said they have ordered another driver and would replace it when it arrived.

Just a note to @Moderator: I have NEVER overdriven these speakers. (Or under driven) They have a clean 100 watts per channel and the listening position is 15 feet away. Hard to turn it up at that distance and I've never run them at any more than -20 db (40% of volume), which is more than enough to fill the small room they're in. I'm 65 years old, listen mostly to jazz and blues - not the type that blasts a pair of speakers. Also, in a past life I was an stage and concert audio technician and know my way around speakers pretty well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
OK, so I assumed some stuff from your email. My bad, you know what they say when you assume...

And I hate to jump in the middle via the forum, support should be done at our support email. That said, please take anything here with a grain of salt since I am not "there".

First, the only time we have ever seen the tweeters stop working is when they are burned (they turn black, at about 350 degrees C !) They only burn from overdrive or amp clipping, and its really hard to do (you need a really big amp, or a cheap receiver). Is your failed tweeter burned? It's really obvious if so, just pull the sock down and take a look.

If not and it just stopped working, then I am willing to bet you the price of the speakers that the tweeter is fine and your dealer mis-diagnosed. (Well, not really, because I can't do that, but really). The tweeter stopping working can only be a loose connector that came off over time, or a crossover component failure (also very rare, but infinitely more frequent then bad tweeters). If the tweeter is not physically burned, it would have to be removed and tested to confirm it was not working. Did your dealer do that, or did they just guess? If they guessed, I can tell you right now they guessed wrong.

And how long has this been going on, repair parts are shipped same or next day and never take more than two days to get to their destination.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I did pull the sock down and examined the tweeter - perfectly yellow. I contacted the dealer about five days ago, so I'd expect the part to come in this week. I will relay your suggestions. I can't imagine the tweeter dying either, got to be something else. I just hate the thought of packing the speaker up, bringing it to the dealer (20 miles) and doing it all over again when it's repaired. After all, it's only five months old and I miss it when it's gone :)

Anyway, I'll let you know how it shakes out. I just want to get my baby up and running again. Thanks.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Hey Richie,
I really feel for you, something is wrong and bad luck seems to be involved too. My Tritons (2s, 3s, and two pairs of 7s) are great!!!!
Hang in there, I am sure the team (dealer and manufacturer) will get you sorted out. These guys are great!!!!!
But I feel for you when you are missing your good tunes.
Soon I hope, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Longevity