file Triton 2 and Denon X4000

• matrix4123's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
matrix4123 Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Hi, I've got a 7.1 Goldenear System that consists of Triton 2 for mains, SS30 for surrounds and SuperCenter XL for center. I recently replaced my Denon 3312CI with the Denon X4000. I typically listen to movies at around -6 dB. What appears to be happening is the X4000 is shutting itself off after an hour or two. Then I'll kick it back on and it'll run like this for another 15-30 minutes then shut off again. The third time I turn it on it immediately shuts itself off. Almost seems like overheating. I've got plenty of airflow around the unit (open sides and two-feet of clearance). The Denon is rated at 125WPC at 8 Ohms...

Could I be over driving the amp in the Denon with this setup?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Make sure all speaker wire connections are "neat", no stray strands or crossed wire connections. Are you using speaker-wire only for your connections to the Tritons? If not, try that first as we have seen some rare instances of a ground loop when both speaker wire and LFE are used.

If speaker wire only, I suspect the receiver has a problem. or else you are pushing it too hard (can't imagine that unless you listen VERY loud in a very large room ... simple test is to turn it down just a bit and see if it stops shutting down. If so, that's the issue.). Make sure L/R are set to Large (full band), sub to No, center to Small and 80Hz crossover, surrounds and Rears to Small and 100-120Hz crossover. Make sure there is no double bass or bass plus function selected. If this is your setup and problem persists, ask your (Denon) dealer for help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: matrix4123

Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Thanks, I've checked all the stray strands per the Denon support line, everything is very clean and not touching. I am not using the LFE input on the Tritons. I am suspecting the receiver, but they "tested" it and found no issues and sent it back to me. I will try turning it down a bit, although I usually listen around -10 to -6 dB (room calibrated with Audyssey Pro kit). All the crossovers you mention are what I'm using. I've got an external powered sub that handles the frequencies below the Tritons, that's the only thing different.

• Julesverne's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Julesverne Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Believe me my friend I was having the same problem the solution buy 14 gauges wire simple is that and you will enjoy your system you will thank me later

Heh, I'm using 12AWG, each run is exactly 40 feet.

I did try playing a two hour movie at -6 db using only the two Triton 2 towers last night. They were using shorter wires, but the unit didn't shut off at all. Also of note, there was nothing around the unit at all, so airflow could be greater than in my rack. I should note that the airflow in my rack is quite good too as there isn't nothing around it, just something above about two feet.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 2 and Denon X4000