file Sub/LFE Question Triton Two

• wweiss's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wweiss Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I have Triton Two's with an outboard sub. My sony receiver is able to output LFE content while playing 2ch. music.

Triton Two's are set to large. My current crossover on the sub has been 80Hz. I read on a recent post that the XO should be

120Hz for movies. My question is what would be the ideal XO on the sub for music?
So much music-so little time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hi,

2ch music does not have LFE. If your Sony is outputting LFE channel content from 2ch music than it is creating that content in a DSP audio matrix of some sort that you should turn off (that's assuming you have the L/R set to Large and Sub to Yes).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 8 months ago
An interesting article about subwoofers for music reproduction can be found at kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm
Stereo Subwoofers: Why everyone needs two. Very interesting and informative article.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coopaw

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 8 months ago
My guess is that your Sony is acting like my Marantz. For two channel music, I have the option to send low frequencies only to the large front speakers or to both the large speakers and to the subwoofer. The Marantz calls this mode "LFE+Main". As the moderator points out, it is not really a true LFE signal but rather a routing of lower frequencies to the sub. It is basically the receiver asking me "Do you want to hear the sub for 2 channel music?"

Now for your question about the ideal crossover to the sub for music... I would say it's all up to your taste. I also have the Triton Twos, and I would like to crossover as low as possible and let the sub just fill out the lowest notes. After all, the Tritons will sound way more musical than my sub!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• wweiss's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 130
wweiss Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Thank you Redraider for your reply. My question at this point is:In this mode mains plus sub which is generated in DSP audio matrix- is there any distortion being added to the signal? Would straight 2ch. mode be the cleanest for critical listening?
So much music-so little time!

• Redraider1138's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Redraider1138 Posted 10 years 8 months ago
I honestly don't know, but I can guess. My guess is that this is plain old 2 channel and not a DSP mode of any kind. The receiver is simply routing the low frequencies to both the mains and the sub. I would be surprised if any distortion is being added. Again, this is just my guess. I always go back to listen to how it sounds best to you on your equipment in your room. Everything else is just noise.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Sub/LFE Question Triton Two