file Tritons with Anthem MRX

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

I have tried it all.they just don't sound good.

Nonsense. I am quite certain you did not try it all, so why play this game on the forum. Is there an ulterior motive you are keeping to yourself? Are you a plant from another speaker manufacturer? Are you a big fan of some other speakers and are trying to halt GoldenEar's momentum in whatever way you can?

Sorry, I've seen it all over the years - and anonymous dishonesty is a common symptom of public forums.

In case anyone reading this thinks there is any merit to that comment, just so happens I was participating in a store event last night at a local GoldenEar dealer. We had a Triton Two 7.1 Theater setup in one room and across the hall we had our two newest award winners, the Triton Seven (Absolute Sound Product of the Year winner, from the January issue) and the Aon 3 (Another Absolute Sound award as one of The 35 Greatest Bargains in high-end audio). Because this was not one of the higher end equipment rooms, I was using a new Integra receiver, in Direct mode, and a Sony $129 BluRay player to spin regular old CD's (digital out to the Integra). And in this dealer's showroom, using this average electronics, the Sevens absolutely blew everybody away (including me). I played them for probably 60 people over the 5 hour event. I played rock, jazz, instrumental, vocalists (male and female), classical, R&B. This was a multi-brand event so some of these listeners were from the industry too. The response to the sound of the Triton Sevens was overwhelming, because of their value I think even more so than the first introduction of the Triton Twos (which of course was met with more accolades and awards than any other new speaker in decades).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tom7's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
tom7 Posted 10 years 8 months ago
djsallad,

To add to what the Moderator has said, I listen primarily to rock music, followed by a variety of almost all other kinds of music. I have noticed that some things sound particularly great with the ribbon tweeter, but all types of music sound detailed, textured, and have good imaging and a large (or appropriate to the music) soundstage. I believe "congested" is the opposite of open, airy and detailed, so I'm really struggling to see how you could find the midrange congested, unless you have defective drivers or crossover in your set of speakers (or another issue in your setup). I'm hearing details throughout the frequency range (including of course midrange) that I've never heard before from my CDs - how would this be possible if it was "congested". Your comment that just rock/pop doesn't sound good is bogus - do jazz and vocals not have midrange? Different people hear or at least prefer things differently - for example my dealer explained to me the difference between "laid back" and "forward" sounding speakers, after noticing I had a clear preference for one type. Depending on your hearing, this may make a huge difference to you, or you may not even be able to detect the difference at all. Also, while the GoldenEar Triton Two's, paired with a decent receiver/amp, are quite neutral, some other speakers/systems have a very distinct boosted "presence" zone in the midrange, which is artificially boosted. This is inaccurate sound, but could very well be the sound you are used to. The other common issue is mid-bass boost, which also does not occur with the GoldenEars, but based on your comments the bass was not the issue.

In summary, there are so many variables that could possibly be affecting your experience, if you're even being honest with us about the alleged issue, that it is simply impossible for you to say you've "tried it all". Mark Cooley is thoroughly impressed with high-res music playing through a pretty high quality front end, and I'm impressed with CD music playing from a PS3 to the very receiver that wasn't good enough for Mark, not to mention hundreds of others who have commented on this and other forums. Are we all crazy, do well all not share the same taste in music as you, or could it be that there is something wrong with some part of your system/setup?

Finally, I listened in person to several other brands of speakers in a range of prices before deciding that the GoldenEar Triton Two's were the ones for me. I found that in some respects they were even comparable to 7-10k speakers, and I really couldn't find anything in the 2-4k/pair range that compared (aluminum dome tweeters sounded harsh in comparison, none of them had the bass of the Triton Two's without adding a sub, etc). The clincher for me was the even more dramatic cost savings when building a 5.1 (well 5.0 or 5.2 depending on how you count the built in subs) system - even price comparable speaker pairs (which I had already eliminated as being not as good as the Triton Two's) ended up costing 50-75% more for a whole 5.1 system, as their centers and surrounds were more expensive, and a sub was needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, Mitch

• djsallad's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
djsallad Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Thanks for your replies but I have no motive.The Tritons Three did not sound right to me.Its been a frustrating experience for me trying to figure out what was going on.These speakers always sounded like they were on the verge of distortion..like in the old days when we all made homemade cassettes and the levels were a bit too high. One day I decided to hook up my Aon 2 center channel as one of the stereo channel and WHAT a difference. I can crank that Aon 2 to 85-90 db and no distortion...sounds great BIG difference from one speaker to the other

So.......after comparing each speaker for days, I think the Triton midrange driver could be faulty.It can sound so harsh.Is there such a thing as defective crossovers? I dont know too much about the workings of the inside of a speaker but i'm pretty sure there is something wrong with it now that I have heard the Aon 2 right beside it in the same room with the same equipment

And now the dealer where I bought them and would get them fixed is closing in March forever.
Any thoughts ?

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Dude, get the speakers serviced. It makes zero sense that an Aon would sound better than a Triton. At worst, they might sound about the same. Yes, it is possible to have a damaged or defective driver or crossover (although crossover damage is unlikely, we have seen shipping damaged products with crossover parts dangling off the PC Board). Besides the possibility of user damage, the open-gap design of the midrange drivers also does allow for the possibility of debris finding its way in and causing problems. Impossible to say exactly what is going on through email evaluation, other than that there is obviously something wrong.

There is another dealer in Vancouver that might be willing to help (they are not required to service GoldenEar products they did not sell, but most will certainly do so to assist a new customer) if your current dealer is no longer providing support (they should, as long as their doors are still open). Worst case, they can be shipped (prepaid) back to our facility in eastern Canada for service and return. If you are the original purchaser any required service would be 100% under warranty, all you have to do is get them to us or an authorized dealer. If returning to us (should be a last resort), you will need to contact us for a return authorization number and return shipping instructions.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Tritons with Anthem MRX