file Tritons with Anthem MRX

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 11 months ago
djsallad,
Thanks sincerely to come back and report in. So many people sort out their problem and we never get to hear the good news.
We are seriously happy to hear that it was NOT the Triton 3s at fault. I was sure that was the case, but until you reported now that you have great sound, we didn't know.
Super, wonderful, great, happy for you!!!!!!!
I can't follow all of how you were hooked up, nor what you did now to sort it out, as I am old fashioned and still play the shiny round flat things.
But good you like new toys and you found the right ones to sound good. I do agree, though it might be a pain to change cables, I would do that too if that is what it took to get great sound.
Enjoy, and keep us informed.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Cooley's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3
Mark Cooley Posted 10 years 11 months ago
My 2 channel set up consists of a Simaudio Moon 100 D DAC, Anthem 225 integrated amp, and ofcourse Goldenear Triton II's. Music (FLAC) played through Foobar2000, spdif out to toslink input into DAC, and I must say I am thouroughly impressed. I tried using my MRX 700 but I found the sound quality inferior.
You're a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust, what do you have to be scared of?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

• tom7's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 4
tom7 Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Hi Mark,

I currently have Triton II's hooked up to an MRX 700 with the plan of adding a centre and surrounds later on. I'm wondering if you can explain what is lacking in the MRX 700 sound compared to the Anthem 225 integrated amp, or what is better about the 225. Is it a difference in power/headroom, more detail, different imaging or soundstage, speed, tonal accuracy, etc.? The main reason I went for the MRX 700 is to use ARC in my less than perfect room. I am curious to hear what improvements the Anthem 225 can bring, because I had a feeling (based on reading reviews) the Triton II's are capable of even more than I'm experiencing with them hooked up to the MRX 700 (although they still sound great to me, but I'm lacking a reference point to know if they could sound better). I could add a better quality 5 channel amp down the road, or even just a stereo amp if I felt the improvements are mostly only needed for music, but I'd really like to know what improvements better amplification will bring to the table.

Thanks,
Tom

• djsallad's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
djsallad Posted 10 years 10 months ago
I thought i liked these speakers but I don't. I am going to sell these speakers.Good for movies but when it comes to music they don't cut it !! They sound decent with vocal or jazz music.They just don't sound right with anything else.(to me) i just don't hear what others rave about. My search for new speakers starts again :(

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
So you like shopping for/buying new speakers? Cool, enjoy. My wife likes shopping for new shoes, I totally understand.

If not, let me ask you a few questions. Do you think all those professional reviewers got it wrong? Do you think all those Product of the Year Awards GoldenEar received, from every major audio publication, were a mistake? Or do you think maybe there's something else going on with your situation? I can tell you its not the size of your room (The Stereophile review of the Triton Twos was done in a ridiculously small room, and I've heard them in HUGE rooms and been amazed), but it could be:
  1. The setup in the room. Ask your dealer for help, or call the office and ask for support;
  2. The speaker(s) are broken (not likely, but stuff happens...)
  3. Something in your receiver is setup wrong (also happens, all the time)
  4. Your receiver is defective or sonically inadequate for your needs (Triton Twos are very revealing, all the reviews and demos of Tritons have been done with high-end electronics - not necessarily high-priced, as we have used Peachtree products on occasion)
  5. Something else in your system or room environment is a problem
And I don't believe much in the "personal taste" thing. The NRC research clearly showed that everyone identifies "good sound" in the same way (something like 98% of the participants agreed on what sounded good), and my personal experience has been that all the very best speakers sound amazingly alike. I have had many of the speakers people have considered the very best over the years, and I can tell you that not only is the Triton Two as good or better than all of them, it is by far the least expensive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Sloppy

• djsallad's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
djsallad Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried it all.they just don't sound good.There is just something wrong with the midrange.Its just so congested when it come to rock/pop music.Its not my room and its not my gear.i brought them to my friends pimped-out audio room and still no go. I cant listen to all my fav music that I've listen to on many speakers over the years.Sounds like a 'LIFEStYLE' speaker. Good top and bottom end but no guts.Nothing wrong with that...just not for me.Movies are very good. i wish I could hear someone else GoldenEar system.Anybody in the Vancouver area wanna share a bottle of wine and listen to music?

I dont know what else to say except I wish they would have worked out .

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Tritons with Anthem MRX