file Subwoofer Advice

• Utftballfan's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Utftballfan Posted 5 years 3 months ago
I have recently upgraded my system with the exception of my GE speakers. I have the SS3's L/C/R, surrounds and one (1) FF4 Sub. Even though the FF4 sounds good I feel like I may be missing out where bass/low frequency is concerned. My listening area is approximately 12' x 18' with cathedral ceiling. The ceiling measures 8' at the walls and 11' at the peak. However, this area is within an open area that measures 26' x 28'. The wall I face when listening is 13'. This is where my gear is located. There is no wall directly to the left. My surrounds have to be placed behind the listening area and angled down to the listening position. My question is this. Should I go up in subwoofer size or would purchasing a 2nd FF4 provide what I am looking for. I do not have a means to test dB, Hz, etc. so I am simply going by what I hear. Also what benefits (if any) does a sub with a planar radiator have over a ported sub?
I appreciate any input and thanks for looking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Utftballfan

Guessing you're a football fan. Which Ut?I'm a transplanted Northerner who has "adopted' the U of Texas football team to follow.

Re subs, yes you could get more heft with a bigger sub. Also, two subs are better than one for bass distribution. As a suggestion, if you're thinking of something like a Supersub (which would add tons of bass!), I'd think about keeping the FF4 also, giving two sub sources. Don't know what placement options you have re wiring etc., but placing one in front, one in back would be ideal. Two in front would work also. If you have the budget, I'd lean towards a Supersub to go with your FF4 rather than a second FF4.

Ha! Easy to spend other folk's money! :laugh:

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem

Sorry for the delayed response. UT = University of Tennessee. I have several friends in TX who are the other UT fans :) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 5 years 3 months ago
In general, two subs are better than one because you can place them in different spots to even out bass in the room, so a second FF4 would be beneficial. But with that said, the SuperSubs significantly outperform the ForceFields and if you upgraded just the one FF4 to a SuperSub X you'll have better bass, but still the limit of only one placement in the room. If you could swing two SuperSub X... well, wow! That would be something. Do you have a local dealer who can assist in this decision?

Moderator wrote: In general, two subs are better than one because you can place them in different spots to even out bass in the room, so a second FF4 would be beneficial. But with that said, the SuperSubs significantly outperform the ForceFields and if you upgraded just the one FF4 to a SuperSub X you'll have better bass, but still the limit of only one placement in the room. If you could swing two SuperSub X... well, wow! That would be something. Do you have a local dealer who can assist in this decision?[/quote

I would love to have two of the super subs. Unfortunately, I cannot afford those right now. However, I could do some online reviews of the subs if you have a couple to spare.:) :)

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Hi again Utftballfan

Go Tennessee! Good team.

I understand your budget issues. Haven’t heard the other subs you’re thinking of trying so can’t comment on that. Have auditioned Supersubs and they rock. Bass is deep, clean, matches perfectly tonally with all GEt speakers. Bone shaker stuff.

Happy listening with whatever you choose, but, yes there is more bass to be had than your current set up.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support ForceField Subs Subwoofer Advice