file Golden Ear Triton 3's dealer demo unit review

• Dwayland's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Dwayland Posted 12 years 1 month ago
March 2012
These are some of my initial notes from a weekend spent with a pair of Dealer Demo Triton 3's.
I posted these in another audio forum, but thought they also should be placed here.

I just woke up and I believe I am experiencing my very 1st. audio Hangover.

While I have yet to do a proper more controlled eval, (last night was just I was just a kid in a candy store) I will say the following as an initial prelude of what is to come:

So far I can say the following regarding the "smaller" Golden Ear Triton 3:

These comments only relate to my initial music only eval.
1. The are not at all fatiguing.
2. The are not harsh.
3. The tweeter never lost composure during my bit of initial fun.
4. The bass these guys can produce surprised the heck out of me. They have done an amazing job with the XO, blending the powered driver with the rest of the speaker. A much better blend than I have ever been able to achieve with an external sealed sub.
5. They are able to pressurize my room without loosing any composure. I love this, as it adds so much depth to a lot of the music I listen to.
6. Bass is not bloated or boomy.
The speakers are light, so they are easy to move around if need be as in my case.
7. The wife likes the looks of them.
8. The only slight negative so far and I am not yet ready to say this as my final conclusion, is that the mid seems a bit lacking as compared to it's bigger brother the Triton 2. At lower volumes the 3's are nearly in line with the 2's, but crank it up and I found the mid start to get lost a bit. It's still there, but not as luscious as what I heard from the 2's at the dealer.

Bottom line so far, wow!!! Using these as a true full range speaker is no joke, at least as my initial 2ch music test has concluded. And the internal XO blends it all in so very well.

My initial setup consisted of the following.

Emotiva UMC-1 (A-B between it and the USP to see how the EQ worked for or against the GE,s)
Emotiva USP-1
Emotiva ERC-2
Oppo BDP 93 ( Used for Rush S&A BD and AIX records demo material) listened in 2-ch only.

Speakers were set 7' apart, 3' from the back wall and I sat back 8'. Speaker are toed in slightly. Immediate listening Room is roughly 15x17 with a short wall separating it from the kitchen, which is 15x18. 9' ceilings.

All I can say is this. If these guys sound like this, what would the 2's sound like!!! That's going to be the tough one... Is it going to be worth the extra $1,000 to get my dream mid and crazy powerful bass? With the price increase, they haven't made it easy on me.

Yeah, I know pretty for sure already that I will be buying a pair. I know I would be happy with the 3's, but I know that once I do, I will only be yearning all the while for the 2's. In related news, Somebody needs to buy my Xref-12 I have listed for sale.

Day 2 begins now... Coffee please....

Holy crap,crap,crap,crap!!!!!!

I decided to make a cable switch on my USP-1 and change from high pass to full range and CRAP!!!! The highs just got higher and the lows just got deeper. A vail has been lifted!!! They sounded great before, but now, now they sound like what I heard at the dealer. So airy, so full, so amazing. The mid issue is gone too. I was wondering what happened to the highs. Now I know.

Anyway, just a little update.

Just finished listening to Roger Water's The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking in its entirety... A whole new experience listening to it on the Tritons. The steel guitar is so lifelike. The overall imagery that's created througout makes it a whole new experience. So much more intimate and involving.

So sad they have to go back Tuesday. . Oh well, I guess I'll have to get a pair for my very own.

So, the question remains, do I break the bank and go for the 2's? Or stay with the 3's? Stay tuned for tomorrows exciting conclusion!!!

Ok going to grab another brew and hit play one, more, time... "Wake up, you're dreaming..."

Needless to say, I am now the very proud owner of a pair of Triton 3's and a Triton SuperSat 50. :woohoo:
Sherbourne HT Pre-Amp
Emotiva UPA-7
OPPO BDP-93
Music Hall MMF 2.2 TT + Phono Amp.
Epson Powerlite 8350
Golden Ear Triton 2's
SVS SSS-01's
SVS 16-46Pci
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, incidentflux

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 1 month ago
Wow - great comments, thanks! Enjoy your new system.

• incidentflux's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 15
incidentflux Posted 9 years 8 months ago

Dwayland wrote: March 2012
These are some of my initial notes from a weekend spent with a pair of Dealer Demo Triton 3's.
I posted these in another audio forum, but thought they also should be placed here.

I just woke up and I believe I am experiencing my very 1st. audio Hangover.

While I have yet to do a proper more controlled eval, (last night was just I was just a kid in a candy store) I will say the following as an initial prelude of what is to come:

So far I can say the following regarding the "smaller" Golden Ear Triton 3:

These comments only relate to my initial music only eval.

8. The only slight negative so far and I am not yet ready to say this as my final conclusion, is that the mid seems a bit lacking as compared to it's bigger brother the Triton 2. At lower volumes the 3's are nearly in line with the 2's, but crank it up and I found the mid start to get lost a bit. It's still there, but not as luscious as what I heard from the 2's at the dealer.

Yeah, I know pretty for sure already that I will be buying a pair. I know I would be happy with the 3's, but I know that once I do, I will only be yearning all the while for the 2's. In related news, Somebody needs to buy my Xref-12 I have listed for sale.

Day 2 begins now... Coffee please....

Holy crap,crap,crap,crap!!!!!!

I decided to make a cable switch on my USP-1 and change from high pass to full range and CRAP!!!! The highs just got higher and the lows just got deeper. A vail has been lifted!!! They sounded great before, but now, now they sound like what I heard at the dealer. So airy, so full, so amazing. The mid issue is gone too. I was wondering what happened to the highs. Now I know.

Anyway, just a little update.

Just finished listening to Roger Water's The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking in its entirety... A whole new experience listening to it on the Tritons. The steel guitar is so lifelike. The overall imagery that's created througout makes it a whole new experience. So much more intimate and involving.

So sad they have to go back Tuesday. . Oh well, I guess I'll have to get a pair for my very own.

So, the question remains, do I break the bank and go for the 2's? Or stay with the 3's? Stay tuned for tomorrows exciting conclusion!!!

Ok going to grab another brew and hit play one, more, time... "Wake up, you're dreaming..."

Needless to say, I am now the very proud owner of a pair of Triton 3's and a Triton SuperSat 50. :woohoo:

I read your post on the Emotiva forum, where you referred to this post that you upgraded to Triton Twos. Did that improve the midrange for (rock) music?

Or was that, more for psychological reasons, since you already expressed interest in the Twos :)

emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/35380...ge=2&scrollTo=609621

I'm thinking of upgrading straight to Triton Ones if Sharaf DG+ will allow a swap and upgrade.
Realtek ALC1150, Audigy 2 ZS, Yamaha RX-A840, GoldenEar Triton Three (LR), Aiwa SX-N999 (FLR Presence), GoldenEar SuperSat 50C | QED, Bandridge, Real Cables | Samsung 5+ 60" Plasma | Creative Inspire T7700 | Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, Shure SE 215 | Sound Blaster Roar, ExoBT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• guitar09!'s Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 10
guitar09! Posted 8 years 5 months ago
CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN BY CABLE SWITCH ON USB-1?

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series Golden Ear Triton 3's dealer demo unit review