file New purchase

• wjw002's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
wjw002 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Hi All-just received my Triton Sevens today hooked them up and like what I hear so far! Got to run them in for a while the mid range seems silghly congested. Other than that they sound very smooth, compared to my previous speakers.

What’s the average break in time for these?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Timecop's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 270
Timecop Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Congrats on your new T7’s! When I bought my sevens new a few years back, I ran them during the day while I was at work, randomly shuffling through music at moderate volume. Total time was between 20-30 hours before I started using them normally. I’m terms of the mids - I’d ask what your DAC is? When I play 2 channel through the DAC in my marantz A/V reciever - my GE’s sound good, but not great. When I plug in a more capable outboard DAC - everything improves: highs, mids, lows, texturing, layering, spacing... everything.

The sevens are pretty articulate. Feed ‘em quality lossless files through a solid DAC and they’ll treat you well.
Triton Two front L/R
SuperSat 50c center
Triton Seven surround L/R
SuperSat 50 surround rear L/R
AVR Arcam AVR-21
Amp Marantz mm7025
Velodyne optimum 10” sealed, back left corner
SuperSub X front-right corner

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Hi, wjw002

Welcome to the forum, and great choice of speakers! Can't say as I've heard the term "slightly congested" applied to any GEt speaker before, mid range or otherwise. Open, clean, clear, rich, yes, slightly congested, no. Something sounds wrong somewhere. Break-in time for speakers is usually in the 40-60 hour range, but what typically blossoms is bass, with some smoothing of treble in some cases.

So where could the issue be? One thing I'd try is speaker placement adjustments in case room dynamics are part of the issue. From your pictures, I would want to try moving the left T7 further left and toed in more toward the PLP. All room SQ dynamics are different, and some playing with speaker placement can pay big dividends.

If placement adjustments don't yield much, I guess I'd want to look at player/receiver/pre/pro settings. Any EQ settings should be off with GEt speakers. They don't need help.

If none of the above yields improvements, help us understand what sources/players/receivers or amps you are using to feed the T7's. You are on the right track! T7's should provide amazing sound quality.

Keep working it. Mid range congestion is definitely not part of any GEt speaker's heritage.

Good luck and happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Congratulations wjw002 on your great new purchase.
You are gonna love the T 7s!!!!!
They should open up a bit more, relax a bit soon, but be at their best in 100 hours. IMHO.
I paired my with the FF 5 sub, as I just like more bass. But for many people that might not be necessary. Are you using a sub? Are these for music only, or do you use them in a home theater?
Enjoy them, happy listening and welcome here,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Timecop wrote: Congrats on your new T7’s! When I bought my sevens new a few years back, I ran them during the day while I was at work, randomly shuffling through music at moderate volume. Total time was between 20-30 hours before I started using them normally. I’m terms of the mids - I’d ask what your DAC is? When I play 2 channel through the DAC in my marantz A/V reciever - my GE’s sound good, but not great. When I plug in a more capable outboard DAC - everything improves: highs, mids, lows, texturing, layering, spacing... everything.

The sevens are pretty articulate. Feed ‘em quality lossless files through a solid DAC and they’ll treat you well.

Hi Timecop thanks for the reply, I was listening to a couple of movies through a Denon DN500 AV processor. It's quite capable tho not necessarily ultra high end. I think the problem could be a combination of placement and plain old time for the speakers to break in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

rjohn79395 wrote: Hi, wjw002

Welcome to the forum, and great choice of speakers! Can't say as I've heard the term "slightly congested" applied to any GEt speaker before, mid range or otherwise. Open, clean, clear, rich, yes, slightly congested, no. Something sounds wrong somewhere. Break-in time for speakers is usually in the 40-60 hour range, but what typically blossoms is bass, with some smoothing of treble in some cases.

So where could the issue be? One thing I'd try is speaker placement adjustments in case room dynamics are part of the issue. From your pictures, I would want to try moving the left T7 further left and toed in more toward the PLP. All room SQ dynamics are different, and some playing with speaker placement can pay big dividends.

If placement adjustments don't yield much, I guess I'd want to look at player/receiver/pre/pro settings. Any EQ settings should be off with GEt speakers. They don't need help.

If none of the above yields improvements, help us understand what sources/players/receivers or amps you are using to feed the T7's. You are on the right track! T7's should provide amazing sound quality.

Keep working it. Mid range congestion is definitely not part of any GEt speaker's heritage.

Good luck and happy listening!

Rick

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the reply FYI- the pic of the left speaker gives the appearance that the speaker is out of alignment but it's not, its the camera angle. Both speakers are situated at equal distances from the side and rear walls. There is a very slight toe in, I removed the rubber feet and installed the included spikes and removed the toe in. The congestion has been about 75% eliminated, I think burn in will most likely address the other 25%. I'm basically using the same location my old speakers were in which is optimal for my room. They are 2 feet from the front wall and 2 1/2' from the side walls, i'm sitting about 8 feet from them.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back