file SuperSat 60C Poor Connector Design

• planetbrian's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
planetbrian Posted 11 years 2 months ago
I was really excited to get my SuperSat 60C and then I saw the connector design and tried to connect my spade connectors. I am not sure who designed the connector layout, but it really is a VERY poor design. If you have a quality spade connector on your speaker cables then forget trying to connect them to the 60c. The tiny box that houses the connectors is so small that it is impossible to connect your spades unless you have really thin and cheap spades that you can bend.

I am highly disappointed in whoever designed and approved this. I thought the design of the Triton connectors were somewhat of a lesser quality design, but the 60c connector design is down right poor engineering. I did not even get a chance to listen to it.

This 60c is going back and I won't be buying anymore GoldenEars.

Buyer beware...now you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by planetbrian. Reason: More Irritated info_outline
The more I look at the design of the connectors on the 60c, the more I question the quality of my Triton 2's and AON 3's. They sound good, but will they last? And why are the larger Triton's named 2's and the larger AON's named 3's....strange?

I am not going to cut off my silver spades just to see if I like the speaker and then ship my cables off to have them re-terminated if I don't like the sound of the 60c.

I am shaking my head right now in disbelief of such a poor design. I don't have a very good feeling now about my GoldenEar speakers.

I am going to see what others think about this issue on the AVS forum.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Seriously? Who designed the speakers? Well, if you must know, the most experienced and successful engineering team in the history of the loudspeaker industry.

I have spades connected to my SuperSat 60C, no problem. The connectors on my Tritons are as high quality as any $3000/pr loudspeaker - maybe better. If you are using super-sized spades on the small-chassis SuperSat speaker, well, that won't work. It won't work on any of the SuperSats. I won't even bother to suggest whether that matters to anyone in the world other than you, but if that's your criteria (we prefer actually listening to the speakers to decide their worth and quality - pretty sure all the other members on this forum feel the same way) I agree, return the speakers.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 11 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Let me get this straight, now the numbering of the speakers bothers you too? Hmm .... no comment.

Moderator wrote: Seriously? Who designed the speakers? Well, if you must know, the most experienced and successful engineering team in the history of the loudspeaker industry.

I have spades connected to my SuperSat 60C, no problem. The connectors on my Tritons are as high quality as any $3000/pr loudspeaker - maybe better. If you are using super-sized spades on the small-chassis SuperSat speaker, well, that won't work. It won't work on any of the SuperSats. I won't even bother to suggest whether that matters to anyone in the world other than you, but if that's your criteria (we prefer actually listening to the speakers to decide their worth and quality - pretty sure all the other members on this forum feel the same way) I agree, return the speakers.

I apologize if I came off harsh in my post. Obviously I was irritated and disappointed that I was not able to evaluate the 60c last night as I've had a AON 3 as a center, sitting on the floor in front of my home theater as people ask why do I have a surround speaker sitting there. What I meant to say is whoever designed the 60c binding post box should have put more thought into the design.

I do like my other GoldenEar speakers though and I would like to listen to the 60c as the other speakers sound excellent, but the binding post box on the 60c is only 1 1/2" x 2" which is too small for straight spades. The binding posts are also mounted horizontally into the speaker cabinet which leaves no room for a quality spade connector and my spades are not super-sized, they are Cardas CGMS 9R spades. However, my normal sized straight spades work well with the Tritons and AONS. A longer connector box with either vertical or angled binding posts would make this a much better design and accommodating for those with straight spades.

There are a lot of audiophiles out there that have normal sized straight spades on their cables and I am pretty sure that most would not want to cut off their nice spades just to evaluate a speaker to see if it is going to sound good in their system.

Moderator wrote: Let me get this straight, now the numbering of the speakers bothers you too? Hmm .... no comment.

It does not necessarily bother me, but it seems out of the normal naming convention.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats SuperSat 60C Poor Connector Design