file Receiver Choice

• JasonHofmann's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
JasonHofmann Posted 12 years 5 months ago
I looking for a new A/V Receiver to power a TritonCinema Two system to replace my aging Denon AVR-3802.

Some highly-rated options in my price range:

Pioneer Elite SC-57
Integra DTR-80.3
Denon AVR-4311CI
Denon AVR-4810CI

Over-budget, but intriguing option:
Denon AVR-5308CI(A) new w/ Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (including Audyssey Pro)

Do you have any suggestions or advice? I don't need multi-room capabilities now although I may use the A/V receiver to power in-ceiling speakers in the Kitchen when you release those! I will most certainly need advanced EQ / room correction as I have an odd-shaped great room layout with two glass walls (Left and Back), one sheet-rock wall (Front) and no wall, just an "Island" (Right) flowing into the kitchen.

I now realize what a huge difference the receiver and the room (and/or room correction) make, as my wife and I heard the same strange "over-pronounced cymbals/high notes" described in another thread when listening to the Triton Tower Two's at a local dealer, so I want to make the right choice.

Best Regards,

Jason Hofmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 5 months ago
All of those are good choices. I heard one of the new Pioneer models recently driving a TritonCinema Two system and it sounded excellent.

The only room correction system I have been impressed with is the Anthem ARC system (available in their receivers starting at about a grand) so I wouldn't worry too much about what level of Audyssey is included (although I have heard reports that the higher end versions give much better and more consistent results).

What was the dealer driving the Triton system with that made them sound bright? Or was it in a very reflective room environment?

• JasonHofmann's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
JasonHofmann Posted 12 years 5 months ago
I just called the dealer, and the Receiver is an older version of the entry-level NAD 747. I can't really speak to room acoustics. The room has speakers and AV equipment lining the walls, which should provide some diffusion, but I couldn't see if the walls were treated.

Jason

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 12 years 5 months ago
No way to know what's the cause, the NAD stuff is always excellent.

This is a very unusual comment, because of the very smooth high frequency reproduction from the ribbon tweeter, we hear a lot more of the opposite observation as people get accustomed to the lower distortion, higher resolution, less "edgy" HFVR tweeter.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back