question-circle Help me deciding the amplifier

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Check your Yamaha Manual - you may have a setting option which turns your sub-woofer ON for use with the Pure Direct or Straight Modes (my Onkyo Receiver has this option).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Umer Hameed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• christo's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 25
christo Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hey Umer,

I have never played with your receiver but I have an idea about your sub issue in Pure Audio mode. Look at the setting "Low-frequency signals output" in your manual. I think it is saying that if you have your front L/R speakers set to Large and this setting is set to SWFR, your sub will not be playing. If you set it to Both your sub and your front L/R speakers should play the low frequencies. However, this case would be the same as Onkyo's Double Bass, which most of us here agree does not sound very good, but maybe in your situation it will. Again, I do not know your unit so I might be wrong, but I did not find anything saying that Pure Audio would turn the sub off.

Good Luck
Christo

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Hello Umer and Christo,

Christo: Good find for Umer in the Yamaha Manual, but a correction about Onkyo Double Bass. Onkyo's Double Bass setting is separate from the Direct Subwoofer setting. With my Onkyo, I can turn the Direct Subwoofer setting ON and the Double Bass setting OFF. This combination allows me to send low frequencies down my sub LFE outputs to my Triton One LFE inputs.

Umer: The "Low Frequency Signals Output" capability in your Yamaha is probably similar to the "Direct Subwoofer" setting in my Onkyo. With this setting ON, you will have LF signals present on the Yamaha sub output jacks to drive your Force Field Sub. You can then decide about using the LARGE or SMALL setting for your Fronts.

Best,

Art

• Umer Hameed's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 52
Umer Hameed Posted 9 years 2 months ago
Thank you all for suggestions.. First of all i would like to thanks to my brothers who guided me setting my Home Theatre Movie Mode which is my major useage of my system. I would like to inform u all that i might like my system more than before. I have settled with YPAO recomended settings (untill for now atleast) but some exceptions. Like changing fronts from Large to Small and crossover from 160 to 100 Hz. Basically what i am trying to achieve is the recommended setup by goldenear and used the YPAO for room equalizer which i think did a very good job. I mean WOow.. I am listening to every detail now which i was missing under the 'boomies' of my previous setting. I have spent alot of time with this setting and i find it perfect and recomended every one to use room Equalizers for movies and see the difference. At least for me it worked may be due to my room accoustics, Only give some time to settle and accept the new setting. The concluded point of my decision was when i listened the Adele Live concert of Royal Albert Hall and i found out ''Where were these violins before'' Lol.. I mean i can see the violins before but never able to hear them as clear as now.

As far as for music listening i dont know why but the equalizer really mess the things up in stereo. So i like the music in Pure Direct mode of Yammy.. Although its only the 10% of my listening.

Last thing i am stuck into is the setting of the crossover. I cant decide between 100Hz and 80Hz. Actually i want to tell u that i am not pro. I can put this like that , its my first proper 5.1 Theater. Before this i was using Onkyo HTIB. A dear friend like you recomended me the Goldenear when i was considering Upgrade ( I hope that's the right decision :P ). So as a learner i want you recomendation in crossover setting. What difference or proper thing i should focus when comparing the two crossovers for best settings according to my room.??

Thank you all for your Help
Triton Two
Super Centre XL
Super Centre 3
Yamaha Rx V1900
Kimber 8 TC Speaker Cable
Oelbach Subwoofer Cable
Popcorn Hour V-ten
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Touch
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Umer Hameed's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 52
Umer Hameed Posted 9 years 2 months ago

christo wrote: Hey Umer,

I have never played with your receiver but I have an idea about your sub issue in Pure Audio mode. Look at the setting "Low-frequency signals output" in your manual. I think it is saying that if you have your front L/R speakers set to Large and this setting is set to SWFR, your sub will not be playing. If you set it to Both your sub and your front L/R speakers should play the low frequencies. However, this case would be the same as Onkyo's Double Bass, which most of us here agree does not sound very good, but maybe in your situation it will. Again, I do not know your unit so I might be wrong, but I did not find anything saying that Pure Audio would turn the sub off.

Good Luck
Christo

Hi Thanks for reply. I can understand what you are refering to. There are three options for lower frequency 'sub' 'fronts' and 'both'. When speakers set to LARGE there is no subwoofer in stereo mode either Pure Direct or STRAIGHT mode. So should i set the options of Lower frequency to 'Fronts' ? As my fronts are not full range so is it recommended?
Triton Two
Super Centre XL
Super Centre 3
Yamaha Rx V1900
Kimber 8 TC Speaker Cable
Oelbach Subwoofer Cable
Popcorn Hour V-ten
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Touch

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 2 months ago

Umer Hameed wrote: As far as for music listening i dont know why but the equalizer really mess the things up in stereo. So i like the music in Pure Direct mode of Yammy.. Although its only the 10% of my listening.

Last thing i am stuck into is the setting of the crossover. I cant decide between 100Hz and 80Hz. Actually i want to tell u that i am not pro. I can put this like that , its my first proper 5.1 Theater. Before this i was using Onkyo HTIB. A dear friend like you recomended me the Goldenear when i was considering Upgrade ( I hope that's the right decision :P ). So as a learner i want you recomendation in crossover setting. What difference or proper thing i should focus when comparing the two crossovers for best settings according to my room.??

Thank you all for your Help

Some times, the room correction detects the fronts as being out of phases when in fact that are in phase. I would double and triple check manually and then check to see if Yammy thinks they are out of phase. Then again, Pure Direct may just be the best way to go anyway.

To decide 80 vs. 100: try playing some test tones on your fronts in full range (large), from 80-100 and listen, see how that sounds. Then, just play those tones with the FF5 - no crossover - just direct and no filter. Again, listen to the sound. Which one do you prefer?

If you cannot tell the difference, I'd set to 100Hz, because if offloads your Yamaha slightly, which means you'll have more dynamic range. Let the FF5 with its massive amp do the work.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Help me deciding the amplifier