file Towers as fronts with TV screen high up

• ednaz's Avatar school
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ednaz Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Our family room was designed (and wired) with a large area up above the fireplace for a flat screen TV. The bottom of the TV screen is about five and a half feed above the floor. Tried using my long-loved Gradient Revolution floor speakers with the TV in the past, before I had an AV receiver, and the sound image was spatially too low. Recently we've added an AV receiver, but since the Gradients are power-hungry, we never tried them out with the AV receiver, just invested in front/center AV-oriented speakers we could sit on the fireplace mantel, and matching rears.

I just bought a set of Triton Twos, delivering Saturday, which I was going to use in my photography studio with my lower-power tube stereo amp. Then I got on these forums, and started thinking whether I should swap things around - use the Triton Twos for my house stereo, and then as fronts for my AV system (with the Golden Ear center). It'd be great to have spectacular sound for the music video stuff I watch, and while the current AV speakers are fine for video, they're just OK for music, given what I'm used to.

Given the size and weight of the two sets of speakers in question, I'm not eager to experiment, hauling things around up and down stairs and to and from my studio, and swapping wires around for pass throughs, unless I've got SOME hope that the experiment might work.

Anyone using Tritons as their fronts, with their TV screen up higher than mid-range driver height? Does the sound image "connect" with the video image? Does having a center at proper height "pull the image up?"

The SuperSats sounded nice, but not as crazy good as the Tritons. It'd be even nicer (and in my wife's words, quadruple nicer) to reduce the number of speakers in the room. Maybe even ditch the sub...

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Hopefully some others with similar circumstances will reply. From my experience, the Tritons create a nice big image, which includes image height. Also, the center close to the TV will pull the image up, as you suggest, in many cases. As far as a sub is concerned, you can certainly ditch that if you switch to the Tritons.

• ednaz's Avatar school
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
ednaz Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Thanks for the reply.

Borrowed a Supersat 50 from my dealer when I picked up my Triton Twos to try the experiment. When I started to do the re-plugging necessary to use the Triton Twos, I discovered that my audio amp didn't have the bypass/passthrough circuit that is described in the owners manual (I had an early version made just before the change, but got the new manual... sigh.) The alternative approach wouldn't be very wife friendly. So, never got to try. Guess better sound for video will have to wait.

Moved the Triton Twos into my studio, hooked them up to my Peachtree iNova, and that killed the family room video sound experiment altogether. No speaker has ever sounded so good with the iNova's fairly modest power output as the Triton Twos. I can now easily fill the space with excellent sound, and there's depth to the sound even when I'm in one of the adjacent rooms. The realism is such that my year old puppy went mad barking at what he was sure were people in the studio, when it was just some chatter between the musicians on the track. Several times.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Moderator Posted 11 years 11 months ago
Very cool - thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series TritonCinema Towers as fronts with TV screen high up