file Anyone compared the Triton One to the One.R?

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline school
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Pbgalvin Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Interested in what differences / how big the differences are between the two.
Thanks.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
Hmm, doesn't seem so, so I just did.
Btw Audio Concepts in Attleboro MA has both of them set up in a listening room.
With CD and iphone in hand I headed over to have a listen.
First I got the Triton Ones in their setup in ear, then switched to the One.Rs.
They have modest gear in place (Rotel Amp, didn't catch the preamp), usually demo via spotify (horrors!).
CD I brought was newly remastered Van Morrison Moondance.
On my phone I had CD and hi res playlists, connected to a Dragonfly Red. Again modest gear.

Btw I love my Ones. Have the References in my great room / home theater system but not the best room to control for audio replay and love those too (but still find my two channel with the Ones to be the place to listen to music). Constantly showing them off to whomever will listen and they are always enjoyed.

It was immediately obvious that the One.R is big notch better than the Ones. Surprising and saddening (for my wallet).
After reading the specs, other reviews, I didn't think there would be much of a difference. And listening in my setup to the Ones, didn't think there was much room for anything to be better.

But it was. Listened to a variety of music I know and love and use to test. Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classical, Blues, Acoustic, Electric, Solo, Symphony. Each was better.
Harmonies were more harmonic.
Low frequencies had more "pop".
The players were more "in the room".
Delicate things were more delicate, and power things were more powerful.
I've seen many reviews (of other products) talk about "a veil being removed" - and now I know what it means.
It was all very surprising!

From reading the specs, it didn't seem likely they'd be that much better. Improved tweeter I suppose is the key, but seems like all of the changes (improved dampening, DSP, amp, etc) all add to to top to bottom very noticeable improvements.

So, planning on placing an order.
If you are One.R curious and have a chance to hear them, I recommend it. But bring your wallet!
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Thanks, Peter

Great report!

So you can definitely tell the One.R is a big step up vs. the T1.

What piques my curiosity also is the difference between the new One.R and the T ref's. One.R employs the technology developed for the T Ref's: better tweeter, better wiring, upgraded drivers with focused field magnet structures, better cones, better capacitors etc. BUT the T Ref has larger mid and bass drivers, larger radiators, a bigger amp. What does that add to the equation? Obviously more oomph including bass, but what about sound quality? You were very impressed with what the One.R's did for your music.

Since you will have the One.R's and T Ref's in different systems, an interesting test, if you were willing to lug the T Ref's to your 2 channel set-up at some point, would be to compare the One.R's and T Ref's with the same music, gear, listening room. I'd be VERY interested in what you heard if you did that sometime "in your spare time"! :)

I love my T1's as surrounds, and listen to most everything in 9 channel Dolby surround, including 2 channel music up mixed to 9 channels. Love it, and the T1's are playing virtually all the time with the T Ref's etc. So the T1's are an integral part of my listening experience and they are great but the T ref's are the cleanest, purest most authoritive (the SuperCenter Ref definitely has the T Ref's "genes" also, bet you'll love yours when it arrives). Just wondering how much the One.R closed the gap between the T1 and T Ref.....

Enjoy those new One.R's when you get them, and tell us more!!!!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
Hey Rick,
Unfortunately there is a set of stairs between my two systems, so not inclined to get the speakers together.
Would be interesting though!

I did have TOnes in my HT set up as well, before moving to the TRefs. Given that it's such a large room I think the Refs being able to move more air definitely helped them be a set up in that setup. Would have been interesting to have them both in that room for a couple of days but I traded them in to the dealer so the dealer picked up the TOnes when dropping off the TRefs.

When listening to the One.Rs though I was wondering if they actually sound better than the Refs (in a smallish room). They sounded that good....
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• stereo5's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 201
stereo5 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
I didn't realize that Audio Concepts was still open. Pete Freeman told me they were probably going to go the mail order route when he delivered my Triton Refs on 7-17-17. Wonder why they changed their mind?
Technics SL1200G TT with ZU DL103,, McIntosh c2500 all tube Preamp, Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server, Esoteric UX-3 CD/SACD Player, McIntosh MR88 FM HD Tuner, McIntosh MC302 300wpc amp, GE Triton Reference Speakers, Shunyata Hydra's Power Conditioners & Power Cords, + more.

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
He said they are at least planning on keeping that listening room open because people do come by to hear goldenear speakers :-).

Sounds like we are in the same area - I'm in Norton MA.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Anyone compared the Triton One to the One.R?