file Do the powered Tritons demand less of the system's power amp?

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
GDHAL Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Welcome to the forum @dogman. I'm late to the party but best of luck with your T3+. One thing I don't believe has been answered in reference to your question is no, the load on your system's power amp is not reduced because it does not have to drive the woofer. The speakers impedance is what it is. However, that said, invariably you should find that your amp doesn't have to "work as hard" to produce the same decibel level it otherwise would if you didn't have a powered sub in the T3+. B)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi, Dogman

This is probably overkill at this point, lots of good answers..

Since the powered amp in any of the powered Tritons takes over the bass heavy lifting load, I think it’s safe to say the load on your source amp is less because of the Triton amp’s help.

So, in answer to your question re the relative power draw needs from an external amp of your T3+’s vs T5’s, my take is that any powered Triton needs less power help from an external amp than any 100% passive speaker, including a T5. Moderator Dude can correct if that is incorrect.

Enjoy your T3’s! You have chosen well!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Do the powered Tritons demand less of the system's power amp?